Friday, February 25, 2011

Valentine's Day!

Oh...Valentine's Day. My husband hates Valentine's Day. Valentine's Day has always been my favortie holiday. Until I got married and realized the fantasy of Valentine's Day just doesn't exist. Troy hates any holiday that demands you to buy gifts and turns every holiday into a commercialized event. I see his point of view, but I also think that if he did a few things a year that showed his love and appreciation(and he does), I wouldn't feel like I deserved something on Valentine's Day. Honestly, I don't want flowers - they just die, and we are headed to Hawaii in April, so I don't think he needs to spend money, but a nice note or email, would have been nice. I have decided that it is my job as a mom to teach my boys how to treat girls on Valentine's Day. So, I bought each of the girls a bouquet of flowers and hid them in the garage. When Troy got home, I told him to write the girls a note, leave the note and flowers on the front porch, and rind the doorbell and run. He did and the girls were so excited. He waited and did it a little late, so they were a bit tired, but the next day they have been so excited about their flowers that are now in a vase on the kitchen table. And as for me...you do what you gotta do. My girls were excited and won't know until they're older and read this, that this is what happened, and will probably continue happening each year. This year, I decided to focus on the kids. Make it a fun day for them. I was going to do a huge breakfast, but Troy ended up having to go into work early, so I thought we could do breakfast for dinner. The kids love that, and so that is what we did. We had heart shaped pancakes, strawberry milk, hashbrowns, bacon (I never buy bacon - ever), and scrambled eggs. I also made chocolate covered strawberries and heart shaped chocolate cups with strawberry mousse. I am telling you - it took me about 5 hours and by the time I was done my feet ached! Next year I'm opting for the heart shaped pizza! We had a candle lit dinner and enjoyed eating our breakfast for dinner! This year I volunteered to go to all of my kids classrooms for their Valentine's Parties. They were all super great, and it was easy for me to do! Hope everyone had a fabulous Valentine's Day!






3 comments:

Doug said...

I don't think Troy's dislike for Valentines day can be pinned on me. I always try to do something even though I put it off until the last minute. A nice note isn't commerciallizing, doesn't take much money and in my experience of writing a note and receiving one is probably much more endearing. Give it a try Troy! easy peasy lemon squeezy and a high leverage action. Just say'n.

Doug said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Doug said...

OH! Jen, I also wanted to say, you raied the bar for Valentines Day.
A high 5 and Kudos to you. Very creative and I hope Troy and the Fam appreciated it. Another good tradition started.