Monday, March 19, 2007

Last week...

Man! The past week has been crazy, but aren't they all? Kristin got sick, I mean really sick. The doctor was so worried about her ( he told us that today, after she was better, just how worried he was about her!)! She had a wierd rash, fever, and told us her mouth hurt. The rash led the doc to believe she had (can't spell this...but it was highly talked about in Oregon) meningicoccal disease. She had bloodwork done, and shots of penicillin. She went into the doctors office 3 times last week, and each time she would go in, she would have different sores in her mouth. Her gums were so swollen and bloody, that they almost completely covered 2 of her teeth. She didn't eat anything but chocolate milk and water for 5 days. She would carry around 2 sippy cups. One with chocolate milk, one with water. She had to hurry and drink the water after she took a drink of chocolate milk, cause it hurt her mouth so much. (Oh, and her breath stunk so bad, I wanted to die!) The doctor decided it was hand, foot, and mouth, even though she was only having problems in her mouth. (Sarah - my friend - later told me that her doc said hf&m is so mutated, it is different on everybody) A few sores moved to the outside of her face. 6, to be exact. Two huge ones, One is in the corner of her eye the other is on her chin. They are scabs now, but still looks nasty! She's better now, but had a hard week. She would constantly say,"Mommy, I got hurt." I would say, "where?" she would say, "in my mouth". She was crying and moaning, it was so sad! She was so hungry too! I felt bad. She was in so much pain, we had to get tylenol with codine for her. She was a beast though! You would never think a cute 2 year old could be such a beast, but she was. At one point, we were driving in the car and she was moaning, mommy, mommy, over and over. I said, "What honey, what do you need?" She hollered at me, "I wasn't saying mommy to you, I was saying it to anybody!" That's just an example of how beasty she was!

This is her after she got blood drawn. You can see the bandaid. Anyways...We tried to teach Kyle how to ride a bike without training wheels today. If you know Kyle, you know he doesn't have a high pain threshold, so it was interesting. This is a pic of him falling. Check out the look of terror on his face...He's getting better...hopefully by tomorrow he'll have it!
Haley had her 4 month well check today. In 1 week, she gained 9 oz! She is still only in the 3rd percentile probably. That is HUGE for her. She got weighed last week, and she was 9 lbs. 7 oz. I went back on milk, to see if anything would change, and in the one week she did awesome! I was totally preparing myself to go to formula. Now, I have no restrictions, and I can nurse her (no food for her til she's 6 months). That is a huge relief! She is doing good. She's been such a happy girl the past week. I think it's the weather. It's been gorgeous. 75 degrees here today! AWESOME! We got Haley a new seat. It's called a bumba seat. (The one she has is a generic one, but they were all out of the authentic bumbas - dangit - I wanted to get a pink one). I saw it on a girls blog, and it was just what Haley needed. Here she is out front watching Kyle learn to ride his bike.

When we got the chair, we put it on the counter. Haley was asleep, and Jake was looking at it. He said, "So, where does the pee go?" We had to wake him up to show him how it worked, and that it wasn't a potty chair...funny kid...

Well, Kyle started his fever on Saturday. It's not HF&M, so hopefully he will be better soon...looks like another week of sickness...surprise, surprise...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So does Jake know how to ride a bike without training wheels now too? I imagine he's wanting to be out there doing the same things as Kyle...I know Noah picks up on things a lot quicker just because he sees Arwen doing them!
I really wanted to get a bumbo seat for Josh, but it was kinda too late by the time I learned about them. She sure is a tiny, sweet princess!
I hope Kristin is doing better!

Jen said...

Well, we tried having Jake ride, but since he has never ridden a bike before, he doesn't even know how to pedal! So, we put the training wheels on his bike, but just until he gets pedaling down! I LOVE the bumbo!

laura said...

I HATE weeks like that. A few thoughts: I love that chair. I have seen those, but forgot about them. Now I think Blake is too old- Dangit! HF&M- Davin had that and you are right - it's miserable. Davin's didn't get as bad as Kristen's but he didn't eat for about 5 days. We tried smoothies, ice cream sundaes, anything. He wouldn't eat it. It was so sad. That is one of the reasons I am a germ freak. Right when we get in the car from anywhere- I pass out antibacterial wipes and gel to everyone. You never know what is lurking on all those carts, door handles, etc. Congrats for surviving.