Thursday, January 28, 2010

Eyeball Update...

So, on January 15, I had Lasik done to my eyes. A few hours after surgery, I had a check-up. The doc told me there was a blister in my left eye. Not visible to the human eye, but literally INSIDE my eye. This made it look like I was looking through a blister - or water. (I couldn't see the big E on the eye chart. It was SO irritating. For those of you who wear contacts, it was like having one contact in and one out. To read, I would have to close my left eye. I needed sunglasses constantly, and it gave me a big headache. (The Bishop on Sunday told me it looked like I was out a funeral sitting through sacrament with sunglasses on.) 3 days after surgery, I went back in or a check-up. He announced the blister was gone, but my eye was STILL really blurry. I was really frusrated! I had just paid $3000 to fix my eyes, and all I wanted was my contacts back! He instructed me that they were VERY irritated and to keep the drops going every 20 minutes. I was to go back again in a week. Well, that week, I would wake up and my eyes would be great, but by 1:00 I could barely see. It as IMPOSSIBLE for me to drive at night. Every afternoon I took a nap in hopes that when I woke up I would be able to see. If you know me, I rarely take a nap...Nothing worked. So, my last appointment with him was Monday. (Troy was out of town this whole week, which made it even harder!)

He said that the old Radial Keratotamy (didn't look up the spelling, sorry) about 50% of the patients would have sporatic vision...sometimes can see, sometimes can't, but that he has NEVER had ANY patient with Lasik who has had that problem, so he thought there was an underlying cause. So, he inserted colagen plugs into my tear ducts to try to keep more moisture in my eyes. He said that in 5-7 days they would dissolve, but if that worked, he would insert permanent ones. So far, they have been much better than last week, but my left eye is STILL not as good as my right. He said 3 months after surgery he can do a touch-up if needed. Just cause he needs to make sure what the correct perscription is. My guess is that I will be getting a touch up in April. Whatever...I paid lots of money, and I just want to be able to see!

Even after the pain in the A$$, I am glad I did it. It is truly amazing to be able to wake up and see. Not have to wear glasses to the gym early in the morning. My eyes are no longer red. That in itself was worth it. I am confident I will get a perfect outcome, it just may take awhile...

So, that's my whole eyeball story...well, so far. I have an appointment in 1 week, and we'll see where I am at then. So, in the past month, I have had 5 eye appointments. The hardest part has been the whole eye exam...better now, 1 or 2, 3 or 4, better here, better there...is it just me? I CAN'T TELL ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Penny said...

So Jen, I have to say that I feel partially responsible for this...as I encouraged you to do this in some way. I'm so sad about this. This is not how it was supposed to be. While I know that I am not the only encouraging voice or the DR that did this, I am still so mad that this happened to you. Just sue him! Just kidding! I hope it gets all better soon!

Erin Fonnesbeck said...

It will all be over soon. :)

ManicMandee said...

What a pain in the neck. I'm feeling grateful for my good vision and I'm hoping yours is better sooner than later.