Saturday, December 29, 2007

Christmas

I guess it's about time I blogged about Christmas. We all had a great time. It started for us on Sunday. Sunday morning, my cousin brought her girls over, so I could take a photo we could give to my grandma of all of her great grandchildren. 200 shots later, and after much photoshopping, this was the photo that I finally got(don't even mention the bright yellow toy in the middle...aughhh!!!) Later that night, we went to my parents for a Peterson Family party. My mom spent the previous days making nativity costumes. Here are the kids:
Haley hated being the angel. For some reason Kristin kept her hands in that pose during the whole thing. Not really sure why? Jake was being a goof ball (surprise, surprise) and it was definitely not a reverent nativity scene. Memorable, for sure.


On Christmas Eve, we ate lunch with my family, and hung out all afternoon. The kids got to open all of their presents that were under my parents tree on Christmas Eve. They thought that was the coolest thing EVER. Jake was being so hyper, that he got sent to time out. I told him if he didn't shape up, that I was going to email Santa (duh...don't you know that in the hospital when you have kids, you're given Santa, Easter Bunny, and Tooth Fairies email address and phone number?) and tell him to leave one toy for Jake at the North Pole since he wasn't being good. As I left the room, with that threat looming, I heard him whisper..."I only asked for one thing".


That evening we headed to Troy's parents house. Where, the rest of the family was AT LEAST 45 minutes late. There was a snowstorm - but come on guys, you've got to work on that! ;) Really, my kids were just so wound up, they were making me crazy, and I knew once the other kids arrived, they would calm down and just play - hence my irritation...just my own kids. Once everyone showed up, we had a little nativity. After a few rounds of Outburst, we headed home. The kids fell asleep on the way home, and were too grouchy and tired to put out cookies and milk, and reindeer food, so Troy and I did it, assuring the kids it would be done. Then the kids were all in bed. Phew. It had been a long day, we were hardly home at all. That really is my only regret about this Christmas, it seemed we spent so much time everywhere else, we were never home.

The kids gave Troy and I the greatest Christmas gift ever. They slept in until 7:30. SWEET!Then they woke up to their goods. Here they are on the stairs, singing a Christmas song, waiting to head down to the living room:
We really didn't get Haley much. She didn't care. She had a blast playing with the bows and wrapping paper.

Jake has been dying for a Nintendo DS for awhile now. He wanted one for his birthday, but we wouldn't get him one. They're expensive! Kyle has a black one, so Jake was looking all around his stocking, and we finally had to point out where and what that white thing was. It was funny. This is the look on his face when he realized what it was! Kristin is just easy. She's the one I would see things for in the stores for weeks, and couldn't buy, because she already had too much! I love it because she's so happy about the littlest things.Kyle got a nintendo game he'd been wanting for FOREVER (well, since Mason came to visit and brought this game). I hate to say it, but I LOVE having 2 Nintendo DS's. There is no bickering, no fighting, they just sit next to each other playing games and asking how to pass this, or that. I am really lucky, because neither of them are addicted to playing(hopefully it will stay that way). They've probably only played it a total of 45 minutes since Christmas morning.

The kids all got moon sand. Shame on any of you who didn't pass the word that this stuff is AWFUL! It's just like handing your kid a cup of sand to play with on the kitchen counter...except it's dyed a color. AUGHHH!!! Don't buy it! After opening presents, we headed to my grandma's for breakfast, and more present opening. We had a really good time. I have to admit, I was very worried about this Christmas. We consciously stuck to a VERY tight budget, and I was worried the kids wouldn't think it was good. My kids LOVED it. I didn't hear one comment other than gratitude and happy for what they received. It really was great, and it reminded me that less is more!

7 comments:

Dori said...

It makes all the craziness worth it with the kids are grateful and happy....I feel your pain with never being home it's so fun and tiring all at the same time.

Unknown said...

Sounds fun! Jake is too cute! I miss that little kid like crazy. Arwen and Noah would love a DS...Uncle Josh has a couple of them and always taunts them with them!

laura said...

Amen on the moon sand. Dumb.
Your kids look so cute all dressed up in their costumes. Your mom should make sets and sell them. I would totally buy a set like that. Looks like a great Christmas.

Unknown said...

What in the world is moon sand? I love your kids' pj's...so cute!

Erin Fonnesbeck said...

That is a cute picture! It never looks like it was a crazy process, but only the photographer knows what really happened behind the scenes. :) Those Christmas pics are great too. I love how they are all at the top of the stairs. That is a great Christmas moment.

The Thomas Family said...

Love the Christmas picture you took of the kids. You are good.
Christmas sounded like a lot of fun. Your kids are getting so huge. I mean huge in a good way. You have a good looking family.

Bethany said...

That is a lot of busy. I kind of felt the same way this year. It was so nice to spend Christmas day by ourselves. I agree with you, less is more. I kind of went a little crazy this year. Do I want to move all this now? Time to do some sorting. Your picture for your Grandma looks very professional. I am amazed at how awesome you've become in such a short time. You're just so stinkin' talented. Glad you had such a great Christmas.