Thursday, February 12, 2009

Happenings...

First of all, you'll be happy to know I survived the night - as well as my workout this morning - which surprisingly enough helped the soreness greatly. I did the same workout as Tuesday (maybe lifted a bit more weight). I even managed to run 1/2 a mile. I know, I know...sounds like small potatoes to some of you...but I feel great about it.

I love this kid...Kyle, I mean. I always feel really guilty sometimes for all the crap he puts up with being the oldest...Mom, Dad, did you feel like that with me? So much is expected of him - just because he's the oldest. He really is a great kid. Today, Jake was at a birthday party, and the girls had fallen asleep on the way home from dropping him off. So, it was just me and Kyle. He had found my iPod shuffle, and was listening to it, while re-writing his spelling words...(it is frustrating me, because he's doing plural words this week. It doesn't help to know the rules of turning a word plural if you don't know how to spell the word in the first place! Augghhhhh)...Anyways, I was cooking dinner, he was singing along with the ipod. That is MY iPod shuffle, that I work out with almost daily, I know every song on that thing...and I could not tell what song he was singing...it was so cute...here he is...he has a valentine. It's not me. It's Sydney - in his class. He doesn't know why she's his Valentine, but he's making a card...just for her...sniff...sniff...Troy had a "heart to heart" with Kyle tonight. He asked Kyle why he had a Valentine, and Kyle answered it was because he was bored. Troy told him to be careful and to use his brain. When you're bored, you do stupid things that get you into trouble. Troy then told Kyle about a time when he and the neighbor kid ripped down a fence...because (bottom-line) they were bored. He told Kyle how mad Grandpa Korth was. I asked what Grandpa Korth did, and Troy said that he told him to, "USE HIS BRAIN". Well, that phrase gets used around this house lots, and it's Troy that says it. Now I know where it comes from. Unfortunately, if history repeats itself, that phrase will only mean something to Kyle when he's telling his own son to "Use his brain".

After school, Kenny picked up the kids. He asked them how their day was, and this was Kyle's comment (if I'm getting it right...) It was a good week up until today. We had an assembly and I had to sit next to my Valentine. (Kenny asked what happened, or what she said) Kyle said, She didn't say anything to me. We didn't even talk.

I guess I can handle elementary school valentine's.

I made sugar cookies today. Yep, made them from scratch. Cut them out. Decorated them. AND had the kitchen completely clean by the time Troy got home from work. That is a miracle at our house. My kids usually make cookies with Grammy. I hate the mess, I hate all the cookies sitting around (cause I'll eat them). But, since my mom's out of town, I had to step up. The girls helped. The boys got to eat them. I only made 2 dozen hearts. Perfect. Oh, I happened to have edible markers, so the kids all decorated their plain sugar cookie, then I frosted it later. They were all happy.

Jake won a prize at school today. Apparently he came closest to guessing how many crackers were in a container during the book fair. So, guess what his prize was...a baggie of crackers and a Pokemon poster. Seriously. A handful of crackers? How about a book? Oh well, the girls ate the cracker, and Jake's just happy to have won something - even if it is a Pokemon poster.

That's my day. Well, a very few little parts of my day...the ones worth remembering...

2 comments:

Penny said...

Ok, so I can't believe how much that picture of Jake looks like my little boy Zach. Waide even walked by the computer as I was reading your blog and said, "when did you take that picture of Zach". Weird! So cute though - I love that he was listening to your ipod. Spelling by the way - we LOVE that spelling website you blogged about. Zach can't wait for Thursdays to play hangman with his spelling words - Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! When are you coming again??

Unknown said...

Cute pictures! Glad you liked the cookies. Isn't it so nice when sugar cookies don't make a huge mess?

Hope you have a Happy Valentines!