Tuesday, May 26, 2009

New York City - Part 1

Hmmmm... a part 1. We were only there for 24 hours - yet - there is more than one part...

We woke up really early Tuesday morning and drove to NYC. We had tickets to take a tour of the new Yankee Stadium at 12:30. We arrived in DC about 10 - with no major traffic. We drove around Yankee stadium for awhile looking for a parking spot. We found a great - free one, and got lunch and then went to the stadium. The new stadium is AWESOME! I really liked it. I'm pretty sentimental - and to see the old one (Yankee Stadium people are to refer to it as the "original stadium" not "old one") across the street - and all the history, made me a little sad - but the new one just makes so much more sense! From any part of the stadium - you can see the field. While you're waiting in line at concessions. If anyone has been to the old oops - original stadium - you know that you can't access the whole stadium from where you're sitting. If you were in the outfield bleachers - that's where you stayed. There was no walking around the stadium. The new one goes all the way around. They have still kept that same ads/banners in the new stadium in the same locations as the original - giving it the feel that you're still in Yankee Stadium.

Our tour started off in the museum. WOW! There was so much history there, and it has to be worth BILLIONS! Signed balls - uniforms from the very start of the Yankees. Photos - trophies - everything. We then went to Monument Park. It is located in the outfield of the park and has monuments of the players who have had their numbers retired or have been the great players!

Next stop: dugout. WOW! I LOVED this part. Seriously - you see the guys sitting there all the time - who would have thought I would get to sit there? So - Troy hates the Yankees. So - he just took pictures of me. So, sorry for all the pictures of me. I know - I look stellar. A 5 hour drive will do that to you.

Anyways, here are just a few of my millions of pictures from the stadium: Me and the Jeter bobblehead. I was laughing in this picture, cause I almost tipped it over. It was hollow and light....

Taken from the field





The two above pictures are photos of what is located at the concessions. I thought it was awesome that they disclosed calorie counts of stadium food...that can't be good. Also, they pulled some Yankee photos out of the archives and put them up above the concessions. Some of these have never been seen by the public. One of these pictures (it's hard to tell) is of a LONG time ago - when fans had to cross the playing field to get to their seats!


This last picture is my sentimental one. You can read the sign - but through the gates, you can see the original Yankee Stadium. All the great things that have happened there..sigh...only one thing to say...GO YANKEES!

4 comments:

Erin Fonnesbeck said...

VERY cool pics.

Penny said...

I love the picture of you looking out towards the field.

Doug said...

It is somewhat ironic that Troy never became a yankee fan. When I was growing up, the world series was on durning potato harvest and it seems that at lunch the games were on. This was during the fifties and the Yankees and the Dodgers were in most of the series. Nearly everyone was for the Dodgers, so I became a die hard Yankee fan. We didn't have TV or internet and the radio that I listened to didn't give much sports, so everyday I would get the afternoon paper and read every thing I could about the Yankees. I knew their stats and every thing else about them. Mickey Mantel, Roger Maris Yogi Berra, Whitey Ford, Tommy Tresh, all played during those years. I lived and died with their wins and losses. The Yankees had some down years so I don't think I followed them so much while my family was growing up, but I always knew how they were doing.. So Troy may not have known that I was diehard Yankee fan. Plus I think they stsrted winning alot again and that seemed to turn alot of people against them. Oh well, I still love the Yankees. I got to see a couple of games in the original stadium and I hope to go see some games in the new one.

Katie said...

Awesome-