Sunday, May 31, 2009

Mt. Vernon

Okay - we spent one day at Mt. Vernon. Home of George and Martha Washington. It was actually smaller than I thought it would be. Although - back in the day, I am sure it was enormous. I loved walking through the gardens, and I am in LOVE with how they did their fruit trees. I really want to try that with one of our trees! (Look below for a photo) We paid an extra $5 to take the National Treasure tour. National Treasure 2 was filmed at Mt. Vernon (well, a little part). It was fun to go behind the scenes, and see things we wouldn't have gotten to see otherwise! Mt. Vernon was beautiful. It was probably one of my favorite days!

I LOVED this door. This is the door that the President and Nicolas Cage come out of on the movie.
This was on our tour. This is an old Ford Fire Truck that Henry Ford gave to the society that owns Mt. Vernon. Can you believe they keep it here? That's real whiskey aging in the barrells.
George and Martha's tombs. Interesting fact: George was Troy's height, and Martha was mine...funny, huh?

This is the basement. This was part of our tour. No one usually gets to see this, and I actually wasn't supposed to take a picture, but I didn't find out until after I took it. whoops.
George wanted a house that looked like it was made out of brick. But, it is not. This house is made out of wood, and they cut it into planks to look like brick, and painted it white, and threw fine sand on top of the paint.
View of the Potomac from the back porch. NICE, huh?


Check out those fruit trees! They have been pruned and attached to a support with a leather tie. I think if more people did this - they would enjoy fruit trees more! A lot easier to pick - that's for sure! I'm still trying to talk Troy into trying this with one of our fruit trees.

The gardens were gorgeous.

1 comments:

delilas said...

I love these Pics. You guys did a lot of fun things while you were here in No VA.