Friday, April 15, 2011

Hawaii - Day One

We got up at 4 this morning to get to the airport. As we were waiting for our flight, Troy overheard them ask for people to take a 'bump' - and they would compensate you with a $400 flight credit. We ho-hummed, cause, we didn't want to delay our vacation. We decided to go talk to them, to get details. The man at the counter was very busy - took our tickets, and told us to step aside. He boarded the plane he was working on. The kiosk behind him said it was heading to Denver. He called us over the loud speaker, we walked up, he handed us our 'new tickets and $800 flight credits' then he told us to get on this plane - which we thought was headed to Denver! I was stammering, wondering when we were going to get to Hawaii, etc. when I realized the flight he wanted us to get on was headed to LAX. As we did as we were told, we realized that instead of going through San Francisco as we thought, they booked us through LAX, and we landed 7 minutes after the original flight, with $800 in vouchers. SUHWEET! It was a great start to a fabulous vacation! We landed and got our rental car - a mustang convertible. I told Troy - this is the only time you will ever drive a mustang - so enjoy it! I actually hate it. I need a booster seat or a phone book. Not exaggerating. The seats are down so low, I can't see out the front window! It's really frustrating! We came to our fabulous accomadations - The Hilton Bay Club at Waikiloa Village. Our room is fantastic. I love it! So much! It's a small apartment. We stopped at Costco and spent $121 on food for the week. Can't beat that! There is a 4 hour time difference for us, and we were hungry, but decided to get a shaved ice to hold us. That is my FAVORITE part of Hawaii. We found a 'Scandinavian Shaved Ice'. We decided to share one, so we ordered the large. The girl behind the counter was hesitant, and kept asking us if we were sure. Duh...we are sharing it...Well...I was just taking pics of the little shop, and then I see it...our large shaved ice. It seriously needed to be held with 2 hands. It was outrageous. It only cost $7.75 - cheapest thing in Hawaii so far. Gas is $4.60 per gallon. Geesh! Everyone was staring - one guy offered to take photos of us - and even brought me this scandinavian hat. Unfortunately - I am now 'shaved ice out'. I told Troy I don't think I could have another one the whole trip. Sad, really.


3 comments:

delilas said...

Just a word of warning - Our orange convertible mustang was broken into and all our luggage was stolen except one suitcase with out airline tickets in it, while we were in HI. All our cameras, souvenirs, snorkel gear and clothes gone in a blink of an eye while we shopped for ten minutes in a road side souvenir shop. We were headed to the airport. I am grateful they left the one with our tickets but sheesh it was depressing.

Brian and Kristy said...

Um, I don't think that's enough shaved ice ;) I love the hat!

Pricilla said...

Oh, I am so jealous! Hawaii is the best place in the world. You look fabulous too! Enjoy!