Sunday, April 17, 2011

Hawaii - Day Two

We woke up bright and early...5:30 early. With the 4 hour time difference, it was inevitable. We decided to go out and explore the island. We had our fabulous - would totally recommend - this book. We used it on Kauai as well as the Big Island. I have them if anyone would like to borrow them. Troy and I are staying on the Kona side - where most of the resorts are. It is VERY ugly. Well, it is. It is covered with lava fields. I looked up the Ironman triathlon route - and it's horrible! It's ugly, hot, and boring! They should have planned it on the other side of the island - the Hilo side. Anyways, off we went exploring. We decided to go to other side of the island, and drive down the highway - stopping at the spots our book recommends. We drove up and over volcanoes, and it was farmland. We laughed how if anyone asked us where we were and the only thing we had to go off of was what we saw out the window, we would guess Idaho. As we got to the East Coast of Hawaii - we sighed a big breath of relief. THIS was the Hawaii we remembered in Kauai. It was gorgeous. We stopped at waterfalls along the way, yummy smoothie stands - where they ONLY use fruit - no ice or water, beaches with gorgeous views and crazy waves. It was wonderful! We drove home that night on the Saddle road - which goes between the 2 big volcanoes here. It was foggy, and like a roller coaster. I didn't like it so much. After driving on it the next day in the sun, it was great. Here are some of my photos. I went a little crazy taking photos at a Botanical Garden...gorgeous, unique flowers - EVERYWHERE! Oh yeah - I got a pillow from our condo, and have used it to sit on. I can see out the windows now! WAHOO! I also stuck in a few photos of what happens when I ask other people to take our picture...my camera is just too intimidating! Good thing I know how to use the timer!















2 comments:

The Peterson Bunch said...

Good job on the pictures! I wanna go so bad now! It's amazing how gorgeous and diverse the flora/fauna is there! BEAUTIFUL

Brandon said...

Nice pics!!!