Monday, June 01, 2009

The 2nd Annual Amazing Race

GO BLUE! Next year...next year... Colette and I worked really hard on our "outfits". This year I didn't wear jeans, and opted for my running shorts...smart thinking on my part! Troy was ...hmmmm...what's a good word...VERY UPSET...when he found out he had to wear a cape. He did it anyways, and was a good sport, and even spray painted his head! There was lots of trash talking going on before the race. I LOVE IT! Basically, because it just gets people excited! Okay...back to the post...

We had our second annual Amazing Race on May 9th. It was so much fun! When we were sitting down figuring out what dates we were going to be able to do this, May 9th was the only Saturday in May that would work. My friends are the greatest. I told them the date, and everyone cleared their schedule! I loved that. It just goes to show how much fun everyone has doing this. Every couple pays $40 and it's the best date night of the year! Everyone who did it last year didn't care about kids sports or temple celebration... They were in, and would make it work. It was a blast! Last year the black team won. I think everyone playing this year, just didn't want the black team to win again - and honestly, it really doesn't matter if you win - it's just so much fun playing. (I can say that since I've never won). Here we are at the beginning. Jon and Donnarae got ditched the night before and had to be a team of 2. They were a little late, and didn't make the picture. Sorry guys. Here are some of the teams - eagerly listening how to use their GPS. I knew Troy wouldn't let me touch an electronic gadget so I took pictures instead. The Glassey's and Evans' - Black team. Winners of the 2008 Games. Showed up with the radio blasting "Black is Back". The Hallings and Burninghams - Orange Team. Inaugural Year for the Hallings. Got Brian to wear a matching shirt...impressed...last is the best of all the game, right? The Wilkinson's and Hendersons - Red Team. Inaugural Year for both couples. They did pretty good - coming in second! The Izatt's and friends. Inaugural year for this team also. They did GREAT coming in first! The Brown team (not pictured) consisted of Troy's sister Donnarae and husband Jon. The night before at 10 pm - their team cancelled on them - so they raced it alone. Here is everyone at the finish line. (Even Brown - sorry guys.)

Now for details:
We started in a park with a flour war. We played dodgeball with nylons full of flour. I HATED this part. Only cause I got pounded between the eyes - and had to take out my contacts and clean them. Afterwards we had to find hidden 4" gnomes by GPS. We were then sent out...WAY far out - to shoot clay pigeons. On the way out, the clue told us that 2 members would have to do this task, and then later - the other 2 members would need to do a task that needed brute strength. So - we kind of figured it was guns, and I am a better shot than Troy and Colette, and Stephen hurt his back and shouldn't be doing brute strength, so I shot. I say I'm better than Troy, but I've only shot a gun one other time in my life. It was clay pigeons, and I shot everyone I tried for. I was hoping for the same luck. Our team was given 10 pigeons, and we had to hit 5. I hit 2 out of 5, and Steven hit 3 out of 5. Perfect. We then went to a Veteran's Cemetary where we were given a list of names and an American Flag. We were to find the names on our list, and post a flag at their headstone. Each member of our team had to find one name. This was an AWESOME task. After the gun shot, we felt like we were pretty behind - only one person shot at a time - so it was nice to get to the cemetary to find all the teams still there. It gave us hope that we could move ahead. After the cemetary we went to REI where the other 2 members of our team were to climb the rock wall. I was SO glad I shot the gun. Being short - it's hard for me to do that, because my arms and legs don't reach as far, and I have to take twice as many holds. Colette struggled a bit - but she did awesome. Troy did great too. Troy and I have never climbed a rock wall before. Here are some pics of that...look - I have pics of the brown team...yea! Here's Colette...isn't her cape awesome? Here's Donnarae. She whipped up that wall! Here's Jon and Troy...The Brown team passed us at the wall- but we got them back at golf - our next stop. You either had to hit a golf ball a certain distance or putt through a little course with under 3 swings. We did that fast, and went on our way - to an obstacle course - complete with a tire run, basketball shoot, soccerball shoot, football throw, army crawl under rope. It was funny! It's amazing how hard it is to shoot a basketball when you're under a time restriction! Our last clue told us to meet at the Porter Rockwell Center. Luckily Steven knew right where it was! We met up with all the teams, ate a great lunch, and had a blast talking about the day. It was so great! Thanks to Kenny and Cherice and friends for putting it on! I can't wait to plan yours in August...once girls camp is over...if anybody has any great ideas...email me... until next year...GO BLUE!

4 comments:

Erin Fonnesbeck said...

Yes, I do love colette's cape and wow! The muscles in her legs are fantastic!!! She has been working out to prepare for this day, hasn't she?

Emma Crowther said...

Wow Jen that looks like a lot of fun. Climbing rock walls is always challenging to me too. How did you get that together? Is it just something you and your friends plan? I would love to get a group together here in Oregon and do something like that.

Kassey said...

We just got invited to do this on Saturday but we have a wedding!! I am so bummed! Looks like you guys had fun!!

Unknown said...

We just did this with our Young Women. It looks like you had a great time as well.

I'm really behind in checking blogs. It looks like you had an amazing time in NY. Those pictures will make great memories.