Saturday, June 04, 2011

ALS Sucks.

In January, my uncle Craig, was diagnosed with Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) more commonly known as Lou Gehrig's Disease. ALS is a motor neuron disease where usually a limb begins to weaken, and becomes paralyzed because the nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord begin to die. Which means that the brains ability to initiate and control muscle movement is lost. There is no known cure for ALS. It is awful. Awful isn't even an adequate enough word to describe it. There isn't a word that is sufficient, I am sure. What started out as his foot and then leg not working 6 months ago, has now turned into almost complete paralization from the neck down. He is able to control a wheelchair with his fingers and move an arm a little, but not much. When I say paralization, I just mean muscles from the neck down don't work. He still has and feels a lot of pain. I love my uncle Craig. I would do anything for him. He is my dad's brother and is truly one of the nicest men you will ever meet. My heart breaks for his family, and for my dad - who has been one of the best help to my uncle. A few weeks ago, we had a fundraiser 5K to raise money for my uncle. He was a school teacher and can no longer work. This disease is very costly - from making the bathroom wheelchair accessible, to medicine, to hospital visits, to machines and wheelchairs, and just paying the mortgage, it has taken it's toll! If you would like to donate, you can donate at any Jordan Credit Union for the Craig Peterson Care Fund. Or - send some $$$ my way and I will make sure it gets where it needs to go! Anyway, back to the 5K. Craig has taught at this school for 13 years, and so many past students showed up. It was incredible how many people showed up. The students made him this poster, and the second it was unrolled, I started bawling. Here are some of my favorite photos of that day...

1 comments:

Jamorel said...

I am sorry to hear about your uncle. I lost my best friend and cousin, Joy Styles, to ALS on July 1st 2011. You can learn more about her at http://www.hopeforjoy.ca. ALS hit me on several fronts: one was that I had never heard of the disease prior to her diagnosis. I soon learned that it is more prevalent than MS, and yet no one seems to talk about it. That made me angry. Second was to learn how costly both emotionally and financially, it is for everyone involved. Keep you chin up and my prayers are with you and your family. ALS truly does suck.