Thursday, September 11, 2008

Watch out Michael Phelps...

here I am, posting a blog in the front yard, sitting on my DI green chair in the driveway (trying to fit in with my white trash neighbors). Troy is playing volleyball, and then I get to go play in an hour. I can't wait. I LOVE volleyball. Really, the kids have been begging to ride their bikes, and I have been gone 90% of the day, so I get to relax in the chair, while they play in the circle. Unfortunately, I can't let my kids play out front without me around. At least I have a nice cushy green chair to hang out in. I'm seriously considering having it re-upholstered. Marinda, how much does your mom charge (seriously). I LOVE this green chair, because my feet reach the ground. It swivels, and it rocks. That is my criteria for a good chair. I may need to go see if I can find it's match. I've had numerous people SWEAR it was theirs at one time.

Anyways, I decided to do a mini-triathlon in November. I am quite excited, nervous, and nauseous, about it all at the same time. After I said I'd do it, I thought, remember how I felt at the top of the half? I seriously don't EVER want to feel that way again! Details of a mini-tri: 3 mile run, 10 mile bike ride, and 350 meters in a pool. I am driving the course on Saturday. It's in Provo. If anyone wants to join Cherice and I, you are definitely welcome! Google: telos tri and you will find details. It's on November 8.

So, last night, in order to prepare, I went to the pool with Annette(previous CHHS - Go Grizzlies - Swim coach), Cherice, and Lindsay. Annette taught us how to swim. We actually didn't even get to actual swimming. I didn't realize how many different steps there are to learning to swim the correct way. We all wore goggles and some of us swim caps. We joked that we needed a camera. We went back and forth doing different things. We started out finding our point of buoyancy and then learning to breathe. We were in the pool for over an hour, and didn't get to the actual swimming part. We are going back next Monday, and I'm excited to learn how to do it. I have a LOT more respect for Michael Phelps now. It has taught me that I need to pay for a REAL instructor to teach my own kids the correct way to swim. I took lessons for as long as I can remember, and I'm not doing it right. So, wish me luck. Oh, another thing I learned is that when you have goggles on, keep your eyes opened. I was so dizzy and lightheaded everytime I would finish a lap. On the way home, I thought I would die. I went to bed at 9 last night, and I'm still a bit dizzy tonight. Apparently you get vertigo if you close your eyes. It's just such a habit. I have NEVER worn goggles. I will really try harder next time to keep my eyes open. As for the race, I am worried about my foot not holding up. I am hoping if I can get my foot healthy, I can last 3 miles on it. Biking and swimming don't hurt it. So, crazy as it sounds, I am most worried about the running. The biking and swimming - while I'm sure will be challenging doing them right after each other - I am not worried about.

I feel like I've accomplished quite a bit this past year. This would be icing. It's on our anniversary. Pretty sure 11 years ago, I couldn't have done all this!

Interesting thought...is there a sport short people can excel at? Seriously? I have been thinking about this all day. Sure seems you have to be tall. I asked Kenny and Cherice. I told Kenny that I realize gymnastics is one, but it's not like I can say, "Troy, I'm headed out to do gymnastics tonight". Kenny offered that I could be a jockey. Once again, not something just a normal person could do. I realize that short people can do anything they set their mind to, but seriously, no advantage!

Well, gotta go gear up for volleyball. I can't wait...we've been on hiatus all summer.

8 comments:

Erin Fonnesbeck said...

So proud of you - you HAVE accomplished a lot this year. And I like your new side buttons too. :) (logo)

Pricilla said...

That is so wierd, I was thinking the same exact thing about short people and sports yesterday after watching something with Micheal Phelps! I did a biathalon once and it was really intense doing swim and then running, but I felt a big sense of accomplishment after. BTW, I didn't round the corners in photoshop so I am no help, sorry.

laura said...

Avery has been on our list for a while now. I love that name too.
I did a mini- triatholon in Hawaii right after I was married. It was a lot of fun. There is nothing like the feeling of going from a bike to the run. You feel like an elephant. The fluid motion of the pedals changes to stomping on pavement. The swim was by far my favorite. Prepare to get kicked in the face though.

Emma Crowther said...

I am greatly impressed. Most people who get an injury like you did throw in the towel, and keep it as an excuse to never be active again. Way to go Jen. I can't wait to hear how it goes. Good luck.

Piano Mom said...

You are amazing! I don't know how you find the time to juggle all that you do! You'll do great in your triathlon in November!

The Thomas Family said...

Wow! You go girl.
Love the green chair. The pictures of the girls on the chair are PRECIOUS! Love them.
So, I was wondering if you would be available to take some family pictures of our family when we are in town for Mikey's wedding? It's going to be the weekend of October 16th. Plus I'm dieing to see you and your family. Just let me know. We're still trying to figure out what our exact plans are.

Unknown said...

I might have to give in and do the triatholon with you. Except I will be the loser that makes it last through the finish line and falls flat on her face!

Bethany said...

I've been wanting to do a sprint triathalon so badly, but the swimming freaks me out. I can get across a pool, but I never put my head in the water. Pretty much I don't know how to swim. I need to take some lessons or something too. Wish I could do it with you. I'm looking for a dualathon to do. That's just biking and running. Good-luck!