Sunday, September 07, 2008

The week at large...

Last week was a fun, busy week. Prepare for a long post. This is my kids last week off track. Jake was given an off-track packet to complete. We finally had to get around to getting it done! Here is Jake, hard at work. To answer Laura's question about Year Round School: I've had my kids in year round, and in traditional. I don't mind year round at all. Sometimes they miss holidays at school if they're off track, which really isn't a big deal. It's nice to have breaks during the year to do things, instead of just summer. My one HUGE irritation, is that we didn't find out what track our kids were going to be on for the next year, until the middle of June. So, we found out our kids were on C Track, which started July 27. SO, our kids got out on July 3, and started the next grade July 27. It's kinda hard to plan vacations/swimming lessons, etc. when you don't find out what track you're on until later. I wish they would put you on the same track for 2 years, so at least 1 summer you could plan accordingly, ahead of time.

Back to my week.

I froze corn. I don't know the "technical" term for this. I'm thinking, "put up corn"? Whatever, we shucked, blanched, and cut corn, put it in freezer bags, and we'll have good corn for the winter. YEA! Cherice and Heidi did this with me. Out of 9 dozen ears of corn, we each ended up getting 9 - 4 cup bags of corn. Not too shabby. Each of us paid $11.50 for this. It's SO YUMMY! Tip: We used a bundt pan (with the hole in the middle) to put the corn in, then we used an electric knife to cut the corn off the cob. It went so fast. It took us 1.5 hours to finish it from start to finish. I wish I would have taken pics of the kids shucking corn, but I was manning the pots inside the house. Next time. I would say this was totally worth it. Here is Cherice and Heidi, just finishing up the last few cobs...

On Friday, it was my friend's Bday. We got together at my house, and did lunch. I forgot that I had scheduled eye appointments for Troy and the kids (mine was the previous week). I asked Troy if he could leave work early and take the kids, so I didn't have to cancel my lunch. He agreed. I was so excited he was taking the kids. Just recently I had a breakdown (when I had all my cardiologist appts) about how hard it is to figure out where the kids are going, just so I could go to an appointment. Dad's make an appointment, and don't have to think twice. So, I was excited he was getting to "experience" 3 kids at the doctor. (I had Haley, so technically it wasn't AS difficult as normal.) The doctor dialated all of their eyes, and they came home like this: After an hour, their eyes were still crazy looking. All four of them are my blued eyed kids, so it was trippy to see black eyes. Here's a close-up of Kyle so you can see how they looked, crazy, huh?

Oh, I need to answer the rest of Laura's questions...
About Haley being potty trained...Kristin was potty trained before she was 2, my boys were all potty trained right after their 2nd Birthdays. I have definitely LUCKED out when it has come to potty training my kids. Once they start recognizing the poop part, (telling me they have to poop, before they do it in their diaper, I start. Haley is definitely getting to that point. I'm just waiting until my kids are in school, and I have less commotion here at home to deal with.

AND - I have always been hooked on Tigers Blood only, this summer I tried a bit of Blue Raspberry with it, and I'm hooked. You should try it...

3 comments:

Nurse Heidi said...

Boy, those are some sexy corn ladies if I do say so myself ;). Rachel was SUPER excited when I came home with a whole sack full of the good stuff. Can't wait for some corn chowder in the winter.

delilas said...

Love those sacks of corn! I have 2 bushels of pears I need to bottle. I need friends like yours to help me whip them out. I have friends just not ones that like to can. I still love that Troy would take the kids to the doc.

laura said...

Wow. I am more confused by year round school than ever. Do you mean that there are 3 different tracks, three different groups of kids- so your kids might not be with their same friends each year? and the teachers have to teach year round, just rotating kids? That is weird.
The corn looks good. I meant to do that with some garden vegetables this year, but instead I got pregnant and sick. Brian just pulled the overgrown, dead plants out of the ground and in the trash. Next season...