Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Principal's Office...

Today was my second time ever in a principal's office (well, my Grandpa was a principal - so NOT counting times visiting him). The first was when I was a sophmore in HS. Sophmore's weren't allowed to go off campus for lunch. I had my license my whole sophmore year, and thanks to early morning seminary - a car, and we did go out to lunch one day(okay, more than one day - almost every day, we just got caught once). A VP happened to be at the Taco Bell, asked for our names, we lied and told her fake ones, someone ratted on us, I got called into the principal's office and got Saturday School (cleaning school grounds for 6 hours on a Saturday). If you know me, you know I don't get in trouble - so it was pretty traumatizing to my 16 year old self.

So, today was the second time. This time, I requested the meeting. Kyle has been begging me to go to lunch with him for some time now. I got the other kids taken care of (Thanks Allisun, Alayna, and Stacey) and went to meet him. This time I was smart and took Rumbi with me. I didn't have enough time to grab Kyle Wendy's so I just let him eat school lunch. Well, right as we were sitting down, a big burly kid told Kyle to give him a nugget. Before I could realize what was happening, Kyle handed the kid one of his nuggets telling him "ONLY ONE THIS TIME". I was flabbergasted. Had this kid just bullied my kid with me sitting right there???? I told Kyle never to do that again. I asked him if he LIKED giving him his food. Kyle said no, but he didn't know what to do. If you know Kyle, he's a pretty giving kid. He doesn't like it when he has something someone else doesn't, and he'd rather share with them, than watch them go without. (Jake is complete opposite) So, I really felt like my kid had just been taken advantage of! As I sat there through lunch, flaming mad, trying not to let this kid have it, I watched him finagle other kids food as well. This kid had cold lunch, and the other kids he was taking food from had hot lunch. Hmmmm...I was sitting there realizing why Kyle was so hungry everyday when he gets home from school!

So, I went straight to the Principal's office. I didn't bother with lunch ladies. I went straight to the Principal. I asked her what the policy was regarding sharing lunch. She said it is not allowed. I told her that the kids (nor a lot of parents) were aware of this rule...as I just sat in lunch and watched all the "sharing" that was going on. I'm hoping this problem is now solved...but, just to be sure, you can bet I'm going to be taking my lunch to eat with Kyle A LOT more frequently...

3 comments:

Nurse Heidi said...

I'm not a bit surprised. The lunch room is chaotic. One of the reasons I like to go eat with Ethan is just to keep an eye on that very sort of a thing, and so I know who he's talking about when he tells me the tales of the day at school.

Love the story about taco bell...hee hee. You rebel.

Penny said...

I can't believe that kids did that in front of you. Maybe you need to look scarier :)! Hope it gets fixed.

Piano Mom said...

So my question to you is: What was your take on the principal? Would you go back and talk to her again if you felt there was a problem that needed to be handled?

PS-I'm happy to watch Kristin any time you want to go have lunch at the school...and I'm jealous you had Rumbi!