Monday, April 27, 2009

Zion National Park Centennial 10K Fun Run

Yep. Zion National Park is 100 years old. To commemorate this, they put on a 10K. When Jon and Donnarae told me about this - I think I may have still had my cast on. I was determined to be running again. I have had so many set-backs, I really wanted to prove to myself that I could do it. The only reason I ever sign up for races, is to motivate me to train for them. I was REALLY worried before this race. My shin splints have been HORRIBLE. Unless you have had them, I don't think anyone realizes how painful they are. I actually vomitted in a training run I was in so much pain. A few nights before the race, I went on a good run...no pain...felt GREAT. The week before the race, I did all the research on shin splints as I could, and really tried to prevent them. I wore heat patches on my shins before the race. Took ibuprofin before the race started, and all week had been icing my shins. I was VERY hopeful it would pay off.

We were bused into the park, and dropped off a little ways after the weeping rock trail. The race committee invited us all to the next 10K which would be in another 100 years - free of charge - then we were off.

The first 1/3 of a mile was pretty steep downhill - which then went to a pretty steep uphill - which I managed to run halfway up. (That's a huge feat for me.) Because of the starting off of the hills, my shins were in BAD shape. For the first half of the race I kept stopping to stretch - hoping if I could get them stretched and worked out, all would be well. Troy ran this race also - and decided whether I walked or ran, he was going to stay with me. I kept encouraging him to leave me, but he wanted to stay. Everytime I stopped to stretch, there was this lady - in silver pants and a pink sweatshirt - who would job by me. Then, after I stretched for a bit, I would jog past her while she was walking. She jokingly said - I guess we're going to do this the whole race! Ummm...that fired me up. I thought - my whole summer last year was devoted to running. I am a runner! I am not someone who signed up for this race just cause it was beautiful. I am a runner! I will run this and beat you! So, halfway through, my shins finally felt good, and I finished the last half strong - the quickest I have ever done a 5k - and it was the last half of a 10k. I smoked the lady in silver pants. I feel so good about that race. I know I had problems in the beginning. But the course was INCREDIBLE. It was an awesome runners course! Not to mention the scenery gorgeous. In the past 8 months I hadn't been able to run due to all of my foot problems, and I had overcome it. Yes, I was by far the last one in the family to come in. Everyone had gotten bored with waiting by the finish line by the time I had gotten there. I choose to think that I'm the grand finale. I am very proud of myself...and if I can do it...anyone can! Here are a few photos...

This is all of us who knew each other before the race began. 14 total. Kenny and Cherice and their girls after the race.
Troy and I almost to the finish line.
Erin came up from Las Vegas to run the race. Her sister also came from Provo to run it. Here we are at the finish line.
Here is my racing shirt, ipod...number...Like I mentioned previously, I could not have gotten through without my music.
See...I am a runner.

6 comments:

Memory said...

Way to go, Jen! What a great story! I had always loved that we had a mutual disdain for camping and running. I was sad when you decided to leave me on the disdain for running thing but I'm happy for you now. Way to go, runner! :-)

Nurse Heidi said...

Jen, you know I'm super proud of you! Remember that first 5k with the school just under a year ago? The one that made you cry and swear that you were never going to run another race? Well here you are - you are indeed a runner. Way to go!

delilas said...

You are inspiring me to take up running. I have this thing about wanting to run the St George marathon some day. I guess I better get off my caboose and start training, I'm not getting any younger. The High School is doing a little 5K in June I might try. I know I can walk that easy but to run it a bit harder. Good Job!

Erin Fonnesbeck said...

You ARE a runner - that is no doubt! Thanks for motivating me to do this with you. Another???

Erin Fonnesbeck said...

I should have taken a picture of ALL of your running trinkets!!

Penny said...

Oh Jen - that's awesome! I bet it was so cool to run in Zions. What a story for you. Congratulations. Very cool to be a runner.