Wednesday, April 29, 2009

On Drugs and Smoking...

Your neighborhood drug peddler:
I went to the dentist yesterday. I have been DREADING it, since the last time I went. You all remember how that went...So, I decided to splurge for the good drugs. Cost $25. For some reason, I'm drawing a blank as to the name of it...hmmm....oh yeah - nitrous oxide. They put the breathing thing over my nose...I just breathed normally the whole visit, I was never uncomfortable, it felt like all was done in 10 minutes. It was great! I would highly suggest it. It was WELL worth the $25. No tears or anything!

"Has someone been smoking in our car?" - Jake
So, my week has been INSANE. I literally need a calendar with larger squares to fit everything in. My friend's husband had back surgery today, and I volunteered to take her dinner. I knew if I picked something I could make in the morning and Heidi could cook it when she wanted it would really be the only way I was going to make it work. So, I chose BBQ Chicken Pizza on a Boboli. I prefer to make my own dough - but that wouldn't work for the "cooking when you need to" part of my plan. So, I am cooking up the chicken and getting the kids lunch, and getting my work done - the only thing that MUST be done by noon. Then, Jake asks if I will take him to the park before school. I think - 30 minutes...SURE, why not? I'm the Mother of the Year, remember? So, we go to the park, Jake goes to school, I stop off to show an idea for a YW temple recommend/hanky holder, when it dawns on me...I STILL HAVE CHICKEN ON THE STOVE!!!!!!!!!!! I seriously looked in the direction of my house and expected to smoke. I got home, and my whole house was filled with smoke. It had been 45 minutes. The smoke detectors were going off. My neighbors don't really mind those - so they didn't call or anything. I opened every window...left Haley in the car to sleep - I figured with her asthma, that was safer. Got everything off and all the smoke out of the house. But now...my house smells like a smoker lives here. It makes me ILL! How on EARTH can my house go back to normal? I have the doors open now, and I'm freezing! So, I have long hair these days, and I KNEW my hair and clothes were going to reak...but, I have a busy day - no time to shower, chances are my clean clothes were going to smell like smoke too. So, I picked the boys up from school, and Jake's comment was the first thing I heard. Sad, Sad, day...any ideas on how to get the smoke smell out? I have random cups of vinegar around the house, but it's not doing much...

3 comments:

Penny said...

Sounds like a super fun day ;)! Right after we closed on our house we came back here and were in it for the first time with the windows closed. We realized at that point the guy who lived here before smoked, but we hadn't realized it before we bought it because the windows were always open. Honestly, there is no magic solution - we tried everything. It took lots of time - we tried windows open, air freshner, new paint & carpet, even bowls of charcoal to absorb the smell. It just took time, but we were trying to get rid of 5 years of cigarette smoke. I'm sure it won't take that long as it was food smoke, but keep those windows open, take a deep breath and be patient. The good news - it will go away. Sorry I don't know more tricks than that.

delilas said...

I did that very thing when Austin was an infant, only I left it on the stove cooking on high the whole time we were at church. After church the kids came to me and asked what was for dinner I about died. I could not get out of the church fast enough and John was out of town. We prayed on the way home that our house would not be on fire and that I would drive safely home. Things were filled with smoke and the pan was history, but the kids still laugh about making popcorn and eating it outside, while I tried to air out the house. If you can get some big fans going then that helps the smoke smell but it really takes a lot of airing out and time. Good Luck.

Nurse Heidi said...

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I appreciate your sacrifice on our behalf ;). Thank you! As far as how to get the smoke out, I don't know. Febreze comes to mind.