Friday, July 18, 2008

Kyle is ALMOST EIGHT!

Kyle turns 8 on Wednesday - the 23rd of July. I can't believe he is almost 8. I am making some invitations to his baptism on August 2nd, and decided to take his photos in his suit for the occasion. I thought since I would have him prepped and ready, I would just do his 8 year old birthday shoot as well! Kyle has a hard time when I won't buy his school pictures, but he's always so busy and so uncooperative, I don't normally take his pictures. Okay, I'll be honest, he's just not as cute as Haley is right now!

I love Kyle! Poor kid is in the stage where you have adult teeth in a little body. He's a good boy. It's tough being the oldest. I speak from experience. You're expected to do so much and so much is expected of you. I try to remember that he's still just a kid, but with 3 younger siblings, he really helps so much! I love his freckles. I love his bright blue eyes. I love how sensitive is, and yes, I love his temper. He is always begging to have "family movie nights" and do anything with the family. Kyle is a smart smart kid. He has always had a huge vocabulary, and miraculously he knows in what context to use that vocabulary. People ask us all the time how we teach our kids big words. I don't know. The only thing I think may have helped, is we never speak "baby talk" to our kids. If our kids say something incorrectly, we correct them. I HATE bad grammar, and am constantly correcting that as well. It's definitely my pet peeve, and I don't think there is any excuse for it. The best time to correct grammar is now, when they're NOT applying for jobs later in life. (okay, off my high horse - I think I get it from my Grandparents/Parents. I come from a background of many many teachers)

Just a little example of Kyle's...hmmmm...what to call it? Observations?
Jake and Kristin were arguing in the car. Okay, let's be honest, Jake was pestering, Kristin was screaming. Kyle told them to stop. He said, "you need to settle it like Obama and McCain." At this point I have my ears on "listening as hard as I can" mode - trying not to giggle. He explains to them, that if one thinks differently than the other, then they discuss it, or let their "people" tell them what to think. That was the jist of it, but he seriously talked to Jake and Kristin for 5 minutes on his McCain/Obama logic. It got them to be quiet at the very least. Seriously, I don't think we've ever sit down and discussed the candidacy with the kids. I'm sure he heard an earful over the Fourth of July. David - you missed a good discussion/Michael taking on the Peterson fam.

So, our plans got changed the other night, so the whole family headed out to do Kyle's 8 year old photos. I decided to do them at the Jordan River Temple. All my kids think they're photographers now. Telling me how we have to get flowers behind, or a bit of the fountain, etc...I had to tell them that I knew what I was doing...So, here is what I got. I've been figuring out some awesome new tricks in photoshop. So, a few of these are texturized, I was just messing around, but you'll have to let me know what you think...I tried to get Kyle as Kyle. Not too posed. He got a little sunbearn on his upper cheeks yesterday, so in some photos I tried to photoshop them out, but I didn't want it to look too plasticy. Troy kept pretending to put gum in my hair to get Kyle to giggle. AND saying Kyle's favorite line from the Pink Panther: Can I see your big brass bowls. (Said in an english accent - you see why an 8 year old would find it funny)

I love you Kyle! I'm excited for you to start THIRD *gasp* grade! I love you!








7 comments:

delilas said...

He is as cute as Haley! They all came from the same mold. But I know what you mean about the weird stage kids go through it last until they are about 13-14.
You are a great photographer! I love the sun kissed look under the cheeks.

Cari Sorensen said...

Wow he looks great in these pictures. Nice job as usual Jen!! And he looks so old and actually quite handsome! I can't believe he is turning 8!!! Congrats! :)

Korth Klan said...

His grandpa thinks he is just as cute as Hayley, just different. Definately not as cuddlely. Sorry no spell checker. He is a great kid and lots of fun to be with. I think the first time I heard him use "technically" I said to him " Technically, you are not old enough to use that word yet." I'm also intimidated leaving a comment anymore because I don't know if I know grammar good enough or is well enough. You captured the true KYLE. One thing though, as a carpenter who is always checking for plumb and level, I never realized that the temple was so out of plumb. I guess at 5:00 AM when I get to the temple every Friday morning my eyes are not fully opened and I didn't notice. Is it ok if the comment is longer than the Blog? I'm not up on blog etiqette. I had to look up how to spell etiquette. I thought it was pronounced eDiquette. Actually I am sending a secret message to Delias. Now I don't if I sent her a message or a message. This grammar thing has me tied in knots.

Nurse Heidi said...

CUTE!! Don't try to photoshop out the sunburn...that's who he is :). I love the second from the bottom one - the blue shirt really makes his eyes pop!

Piano Mom said...

Yep, the oldest always ends up having to be responsible (you must be an oldest child also)...my oldest just turned 12, talk about scary!

Erin Fonnesbeck said...

Before I even read your post, I as thinking how cute Kyle's teeth were! I think last time I saw him, he had missing teeth. He is such a good kid and I have always been so impressed by his willingness to talk to other adults and answer their questions with politeness. My kids grab onto my leg and hide when they are spoken too. I do love that textured one though and think it would look so cute big on your website.

Trisha said...

I can't believe we have eight year olds. Weren't we in junior high last year? Feels like it sometimes...Love the pictures! Too cute!