Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Manic Monday

Okay. It's been 48 hours, and I've officially recovered from Monday, so I guess I better document it.

I went running Monday morning, I got home at 6:30 am and showered, and got my house ready to be cleaned. (It's a lot more work than it sounds.) I had to leave the house at 7:30 to drop off my kids to various friends to make it to the dentist by 8:00am. (I only found out last Thursday that I had an appointment, because they had a cancellation and fit me in - so I was a bit stressed out trying to find people to watch the kids) So, I tell the kids to go get in the car. Usually it takes me telling them 20 times before they actually do it, but that's just a part of getting out of the house in the morning. Jake, Kyle, and Kristin were going to Heidi's to play, and Haley was going to Cherice's. So, I had 2 stops before I could head to the dentist. After I told the kids to go get in the car, Kyle ran in and told me that Jake was going to be in trouble. Uh oh. I went outside, and Jake had gone and played in the mud. He had mud up to his elbows, ankles, and then had conveniently fallen on his butt in the mud. It was nothing a wet wipe could take care of, and I had to strip him down in the driveway, and carry him up to the shower. I was so mad! So, thanks to the delay I was about 5-10 minutes late for my appointment. I now also had Jake in tow. It was his punishment. No playing with friends - he had to sit through my dentist appointment. He was amazingly perfect.

On the way to my dentist appointment, I was trying to figure out when my appointment was with my trainer that day, because with all I had going on, I didn't know how I was going to fit it in. I checked online that morning , but I called to verify since I didn't get a reminder call, and they said they didn't have it in their computer...blah...blah...blah...so, I didn't get to meet with my trainer.

Okay, so I'm at the dentist. I have to say, I really like our dentist (Brandon Robison of Robison Family Dental)! I LOVE our hygenist! I have never had a hygenist who has been so gentle. Anyways, I had to get cavities filled, so I saw the dentist. (I'm typing this full on knowing his wife, Carly, is a reader of my blog...still humiliated at this point...)

They gave me shots to numb up my mouth, and then started on the top filling. All was going well. When he started on the bottom, I jumped. Apparently the drugs didn't work on the bottom, so they gave me another shot down there. I'm telling you, these aren't little shots...they're pretty painful...it still wasn't working, and I think I got another shot. At this point, I was shaking. I'm chalking it up to whatever drug they had been putting in me. I was shaking, and I told them that I was going to cry. My mouth wasn't hurting, my body just felt wierd, and I couldn't really control my emotions. I shed a few tears, and they went on with business. As they were finishing up with the top tooth, waiting for the bottom to numb, I lost it. Seriously, I was bawling. I don't know why. I couldn't control it, and it was the ugly cry. I think I even snorted (there was this huge plastic thing in my mouth and everything else - definitely didn't mean to). They had to remove everything from my mouth, just so I could TRY to stop crying and wipe my eyes. I seriously, don't even know why I was crying. I couldn't quit. Troy told me I probably embarrassed myself so bad I should find another dentist. I asked him if he really wanted to change dentists, and he said, "I don't have to, you just might!" Thanks. So, my mouth finally got numb and they finished up. I left the office at 10. Just short of 2 hours in the chair. Troy called as I was leaving, and I started bawling again. I seriously couldn't stop. I went into the bathroom for a bit, and thought I had calmed down enough, but didn't. I got in my car - called Erin - still bawling (she's my safe person). She calmed me down a little bit, but then I got lost trying to get out of the parking lot. It's all under construction - so that got me started again, and I just pulled into a spot and cried some more. A construction worked walked up to me, and told me how to get out. Lucky me, an extra person who gets to witness the ugly cry.

I headed home and got a little bit of work done, then it was off to the Cardiologist. I dropped the kids off with Allisun this time. Since I had such an emotional morning, I didn't think it would be a good idea to go to the cardiologist by myself. Cherice met me there. It was an interesting experience. I was at least 50 years younger than anyone else in the waiting room. Filling out their paperwork took me all of 2 minutes. They had one whole 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper designated for medications I was currently taking. Lucky for me, I'm not taking anything! They called us back into the room, and the nurse asked a million questions. All of which were no. I think the only thing I told her was that I had 2 c-sections. I kept saying, the only thing I've had is babies! The nurse kept thinking she had forgotton to go over things because I answered no to everything! Me and Cherice just kept giggling. The doctor came in. He was awesome. An older man who smelled like my Grandpa Peterson used to. Old Spice - I think. He listened to my concerns. It was good Cherice was there, because she vouched for my on my running. Cherice and I ran TEN MILES Saturday morning and it took us about 2 hours. My heart rate was pretty much in the 180's the whole time. The doc didn't think it was possible that I could run that long with my heart rate so high. Cherice assured him that I did, and told him I talked the whole time! He examined me and said he MAY hear a faint something in my left coradid artery that he wants to ultrasound to make sure there is not plaque build up. He didn't think it was anything, but is going to do it. He also scheduled me for a stress test on a treadmill for Monday. He told me to bring my heart rate monitor so we can see how accurate it is. That's GREAT! I was happy I went and made the appointment. He didn't make me feel stupid I was there. I had Cherice as my support, and it was great!

As soon as I finished up with the cardiologist, I headed downtown for a Bridal Shoot at Red Butte Gardens. I stopped at Pictureline and rented a fish eye lens. I thought it was cool, but I don't think I would buy one for awhile. The bridal shoot was awesome. I was really nervous, because this was with another person who I had never met before - and with my last experience - I was worried. She was great! She was fun. I think the photos turned out great. Here are a few from that night:

The one below is with the fish eye lens. See the curviture around the edges?

Here is my favorite one.
And a few others...
I came home and went straight to bed. I was so happy Tuesday morning when Heidi called and said she was too sick to run. Not that she was sick, but that I could go back to bed.

Okay, now that I've put everyone to sleep with my long tale, I have to finish it off with how nice my dentist is. He called to check on me last night. I think I'm still a bit too embarrassed to call him back. Carly, you'll have to let him know I'm good - embarrassed - but good!

6 comments:

Erin Fonnesbeck said...

Oh, husbands just know the perfect things to say don't they? I was laughing to myself when I read that Troy said you might have to change lenses.

I love the colored boquet picture with the black and white. You should post all of versions of that picture on the website and see what critiques you get. I would be curious to see what everyone would say.

Unknown said...

I wish you had called me....a similar thing happened to me a few months ago when I was starting my root canal. I never get numb very easily and my Dr goes a little crazy with the numbing medicines. Anyways, after like my 4th shot, I felt my whole body go weird...my heart was racing and I was pretty sure I was going to die. Every single nerve ending in my back was shooting with a weird sensation...pretty painful. The scariest thing was the Dentist kept saying, "What's going on? What's wrong?" I was like...YOU TELL ME!!! I had to physically calm myself down before I felt almost normal again..deep breath, deep breath! Then I spent the rest of the appt GRIPPING the sides of the chair just waiting for my heart to stop beating. It took all I had to go in for my next appt and get numbed by the tooth again. I still have one more appt, and I'm really nervous!

So, I don't think you are crazy!!

Piano Mom said...

I'm sorry Jen...I just had to giggle at your dentist appointment drama. With 6 months in between appointments, I'm sure the dentist will have forgotten all about it! Your bridal pics look wonderful. See, you are a great photographer! We need to set up a play date for Autumn & Kristen soon.

Dori said...

I'm so glad you share your great photos with us.. I just love them.

Brandon and Carly said...

Jen Jen Jen,

NEVER be embarassed by what happenes at the dentist, because no matter what you do, I promise you he has seen worse! (We lived in inner city Cleveland for 4 years, come on!!! ;) It may also make you feel better that he never even mentioned it to me -- so, it must not have seemed quite as bad as you thought. (Or he would have told me the story, but not told me it was you!! :) Those drugs sometimes have an interesting effect on people. (Especially with all of the craziness that has been going on in your life lately!) So, please don't find another dentist, and don't be embarassed. He would feel bad if you did!

Hang in there!

Carly

Brandon and Carly said...

jen, this is Brandon Robison. You silly girl! First of all, i told you that i have a talent of making girls cry. Secondly, the epi in the anesthetic has a tendency to make people, especially women, feel emotional. epinephrine is the natural chemical that is released when we feel anxious. In addition to that people with tachycardia are more subseptible to the epi. i am glad you are doing well. this happens fairly often. and by the way, your photography is awesome.