Thursday, July 05, 2007

Fourth of July

We had a fun fourth of July! It started off with a tradition of going to Copperton Park for their breakfast, followed by the races. It's hard to describe the atmosphere. It feels like you've stepped back in time. This is the only place you'll see "Age 50 and above" race for the $3 grand prize (which my dad won, fyi). Where me, and my cousin James' wife, Marisol, fought through the shoe scramble...yes, I did shove her, but it was all in fun. I fell flat on my face in the sack race! And, my brother David won the $3 for his age group! Oh, I would be a bad mom, if I didn't tell you that Kyle won his race for age 5-7. All kids under 5 get 50 cents, and then they run. Everyone is just out for a good time. You don't hear the "f" bomb flying or see scantilly clad women. Kids just run around with snowcones and have a great time! The reason I love doing this every year, is that I did this when I was little when we lived in Utah. It's the one thing I can take my kids to, that lives up to the memory (so far...).

Here's a picture of the boys. As you can see, Jake didn't want pictures taken, so we got one of the boys, and one of the girls. Here are the cute girls! I had my mom come over at 6:45 in the morning to put french braids in Kristin's hair. She looked so cute!

Here are Jake and Kristin running the race, and then Kyle and Daxton. Thank heavens no one thinks to pick up the camera while I'm racing!

After the races, we met the Cartier's (Beau and Allisun), Kenny and Cherice, and 2 of Becca's kids at the splash park by our house. Troy and Kenny probably had the most fun...the goof balls. I sat under the beach umbrella with Haley and just enjoyed watching everyone have fun! After this, we went home, napped, and then went to my parents house for a BBQ and fireworks. The kids had a blast! By 10:00 Troy was dying to get home. He had to be up by 5am to go to work. Jake and Kristin wanted to stay the night at my parents, and I guess they didn't want the night to be over, so they stayed up until midnight watching a movie. It was definately a good day! I love the fourth of July. I am grateful to the US Troops we have that couldn't be on American soil to celebrate the fourth. As we were watching fireworks, I was thinking how appreciative I was the the noise of the fireworks all around, was just that, fireworks. In other parts of the world, you don't race to see the fireworks, you duck and cover. I am so thankful for the country we live in! God Bless America!

3 comments:

Pricilla said...

Cute pictures. Looks like a great day. I wish we had something fun like that to do.

Erin Fonnesbeck said...

I love your 4th of July post. I have the same feelings about Parowan. I wish we could have been there, but we were just too far away to do it all in one day with the 4th being in the middle of the week.

Bethany said...

Those are sweet pictures. You're looking hot Jen! Your day sounded like a movie, the ideal 4th of July celebration. Nice job Kyle!