Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Run

Okay, where do I start. Okay, at 3:30 am when I woke up and ate breakfast. Cherice picked me up, where we met Becca, Jon, Donnarae, and Beau to drive down to Provo. We got there and picked up our bib's and hopped on a bus to the top of South Fork. Beau was WAY too chipper for a 5am bus ride! ;) We got up there and there were a million port-a-potties set up. We went to the bathroom, and then waited around for the race to start. I'm telling you, runner's are a different breed. They were running all around this field. I kept telling Cherice, "Do they know the race hasn't started yet? What are they doing????" It was set to start at 6:30, but it was obvious that they were going to be a little late. Cherice and I decided to get started. We knew there was no chance we would win and didn't want to be too behind everyone. We went by the time on my watch, so it wasn't ruining our real time. It turned out good we started early, we were actually able to see all of our friends and family as they ran past us! :)
Once the real race got started, I was seriously amazed. All these SPEEDY people FLEW by us. Literally flying. I really enjoyed watching all of them. Their stride was huge. I seriously thought they were going to face plow it they were going so fast down the hill.
I learned 2 things from this race. People who told me there were no hills were TOTAL LIARS! There were at least 4 hills that I was not happy about going up. Also, I didn't feel any adrenaline, or excitement about running an actual race. Just wasn't there. If anything else, it stressed me out. I must not be competitive enough --okay, or at all. Cherice and I did AWESOME up until about mile 8.5. We had just run about 2 miles on concrete, and Cherice's knee was starting to hurt. We stopped to go to the bathroom, and it was a 10 minute wait, and afterwards it just wasn't the same. My foot I had hurt last week, was really acting up. I started limping/running and my hip started hurting for compensating for my foot. It was brutal. I'm pretty sure I WANTED to give up. I think I swore a lot too. The worst part of the race for me, was when we got to the parking lot, we could see the finish line, and we had 2 miles left to go. On an aching body, it was torture. We had already decided that pain or no pain, we would sprint the last stretch, and were really wondering why we had our families be at the end. Thinking they would be embarrassed of us, and having them to see us hobbling in just under the 3 hour mark. As soon as we rounded the corner and they started yelling, I started crying. Cherice looked at me and said, "Okay, it's definitely worth it that they're here". It was. We plastered smiles on our faces, and ran to the finish. I grabbed 2 cups of water, and went to find my family. I started crying. I don't know how I did it. I can honestly say I NEVER want to do it again. I am up for 10K's, just no more half marathons!
I am happy I did it. I feel like it was such an accomplishment to set a goal and have to work on that goal for 7 months straight. I am very disappointed of how I did. Not time-wise, but how my body held up. I feel much more proud of the 11 miles I ran a few weeks ago.
Did I survive? Well, yes and no. I had a photo-shoot after my race, and did that and came home and took a Tylenol with Codeine and took a nap. My foot hurt so badly, it woke me up numerous times during my nap. When I woke up, I went to the doctor. They took an xray but didn't find anything and told me it was ligament/tendon damage. They gave me an ankle brace to wear and suggested I see a sports medicine guy, or a podiatrist. I woke up this morning, and literally couldn't walk. I wore the brace to church, and afterwards took off the brace and realized not only is my ankle swollen, but my whole foot is swollen now. Looks like I'll have to go to a podiatrist tomorrow.
I am alive, yes. But, I don't know when I'll be able to run or walk again for that matter. That's disheartening. Here are photos from the event. Excuse my outfit. I wasn't out trying to win a fashion show, just trying to wear what I would be most comfy in. Turns out, I chose the wrong shirt. I should have worn my flourescent green tank top.

BUT...I DID IT! I finished a half-marathon. I went the distance. I did something in which 8 months ago, I NEVER would have dreamed I could do it. I honestly don't remember the last time I set a goal, and completed it. It literally took hours of training. I'm so grateful for Troy who encouraged me, and has taken care of me, the kids, and the house the past 2 days. I am also so glad he was at the finish line cheering for me. It made it all worth it! I can't believe I'm posting pictures. For posterity, right?
This is our group that ran. From left to right, Heidi, Donnarae, Jon, Becca, Beau, Cherice and me.

This is us running for the finish ine. Pretty sure we're only smiling cause we saw our families!Those ladies you see running just in front of us, we called the camou girls. We were pretty much neck and neck the last 4 miles. At about 1 mile left, they started running, and I told Cherice they were jumping the gun. We were able to pass them at the VERY end. SWEET!

Hey, did you know I just completed a half marathon?

8 comments:

Nurse Heidi said...

Pssst. I'm very proud of you for finishing. You were probably a bit crazy (ok, a lot crazy) for sticking it out on your bad ankle. But hey, YOU DID A HALF MARATHON! 5 months ago you thought I was crazy for suggesting that we run at all, and here you are at the finish line of a whole heck of a lot of hard work. You stuck with it, and that's a big deal. Now go stick your foot up with an ice pack on it, eat a big brownie (cuz you deserve it), and take care of yourself. You'll heal. I love that you now think a 10k is a very doable and, dare I say it, pleasant distance. Look what I've done to you ;0!

Kassey said...

You are amazing! I am so proud of you!! I am inspired to get back on the running trial as soon as my hip heals and I have the go ahead. Keep up all the good work. And you look great!!

The Thomas Family said...

Holy cow! Hellow half marathon lady! Is there anything you can't do?! :) I'm so amazed by you Jen.

I'm hoping some day I'll find the drive to accomoplish such a goal. :)

I hope your foot/ankle gets feeling better. I had a friend who ran her first half marathon a couple months back and she ended up loosing feeling in some of her toes. No joke. She had nerve damage. I've heard it has to do with the shoes. Anyways, those marathons can really do a trick on your bodies can't they?!

Way to go Jen! You're awesome!

And by the way yes we are coming out to Utah in October for Mike's wedding. I'm dieing to see you and hire you to take some family pictures for us. Are you free?!
The unfortunate thing is they aren't having a reception in Salt Lake. It's in Elko Nevada. Everybodies driving down to Nevada right after the ceremony. Bummer. Okay this has turned into a really long comment. I should of just emailed or called you. Ohh well, I'll be in touch.

delilas said...

Jen you brought tears to my eyes!!!!
GOOD JOB! You go girl. I have been the family at the finish line end of the race. It is a great moment to see your runner come into the finish, wow I'm sure they were all so proud of you. It was fun to see so many of the other Korth's with you. You are all such a great support to one another even if at times you get annoyed with each other. That is what families are about. Keep running and setting goals. Get better quick, you have an awesome family you have to take fotos of on Sunday. Excited to see y'all!!

Unknown said...

WOOO HOOOO! Congrats Jen. You really are my idol. For setting a goal and sticking to it.
The amount of blood and/or foot pain, sweat and tears it took to get to this point is a huge example to your family of what an awesome mom/wife they have and how not to give up. You are awesome!
Now go eat a big donut or something :)

Korth Klan said...

Way to go. I am proud of you and all the fam who ran with you. You are all awesome.

Cherice said...

I didn't hear any cussing going on (except in my mind). The only reason that I would want to do another half marathon is to finish it the way I wanted to. I would have to say that we probably did the most laughing during the last 2 miles of the race than anyone else, even if it was all laughing at ourselves (and the camo ladies). I can now say that I am glad that we did it.
Daxton has decided he wants to run now. We ran for our activity after FHE on Monday. He mapped out the route. It ended up being 3 miles. I pushed the girls in the stroller and Kenny stayed with him. I finished and had the girls bathed and almost in bed by the time they got home. Never run with Kenny through our neighborhood when people are still awake. Daxton walked a lot, but 3 miles is a lot for a first run.

Emma Crowther said...

Just read up on your race. Brings back memories. Two of my toe nails actually fell off after I ran the Marathon. I am way impressed that you did it. Congratulations on such an accomplishment. I understand what it takes to get there. Way to go!