Sunday, March 30, 2008

Flashback Sunday


My mom made this dress for me in 1983. I was probably 5 1/2 years old (Jake's age). Back then, dresses were shorter for little girls, you know, baby doll style. My mom had hand embroided this whole dress. She has kept it in her cedar chest for the past 25 years. (SHEESH! I'm old!) She pulled it out awhile ago, to try on Kristin. It is really see-through and short, so I will not make my child wear a 25 year old dress that is too short, but I did have her do a little photo shoot. The picture of me in 1983 with my brothers Michael and David is a picture of a color copy of the original picture. Kristin wasn't feeling good, and didn't even end up going to church today. It was all Troy and I could do to get her to smile. I knew she would never put on this dress again, so I really wanted to document it!

6 comments:

Piano Mom said...

Okay, I had my own flashback when I read this! Years ago, Bryan's mom handed over a little suit that Bryan wore when he was just a little boy. My mom had already given me a dress I had worn when I was little. We had the idea of dressing up our two oldest kids in these spectacular outfits for pictures. They looked as miserable as we did in the original photos!

Unknown said...

How fun!! It's really a cute little dress. I like to look at pictures of Aaron's siblings in all the homemade clothes Marsha made for them. My favorite is a picture of Matthew (who was like 6 or 7) in this pair of white overall shorts with a big cartoon like whale on the front. Matthew looks so miserable in the picture!! Too bad that little outfit wasn't saved ;)

Pricilla said...

That is so fun. Your hair is darker, but I think Kristin looks a lot like you too. What a precious little dress.

Nurse Heidi said...

What a cute idea! I have a vivid memory of wearing a similar smocked dress to my first day of kindergarten. No idea where that dress is anymore, though...

Erin Fonnesbeck said...

I LOVE that picture with Troy's hand. So adorable! And you in that dress is so cute! You look just the same! That picture is just a mini-me version of you as you are today.

Erin Fonnesbeck said...

Why don't we have our mom's talents? Amazing that they sewed so much. I can barely sew a button!

And PS - I love that beautiful lush meadow that you and your brothers were standing in. It must have been a gorgeous day! :)