Friday, March 07, 2008

Junior Engineer

Last week, they had a Junior Engineering day at Kyle's school. Parents were invited to come and see what their kids were doing. I went. I was the only parent from Kyle's class who did so (at that particular time, anyways.) The kids spent about an hour in different classrooms learning different things. I don't know that I would have called it an 'engineering' day, but it was a good 'Science Day'. In this segment, the kids were learning about light and prisms. The teacher had a drill, with a painted board, to show the kids what it looked like when it went fast. She explained how it was the light that made it look how it did. This was Kyle's teacher last year, Ms. Fullmer.
This is what Kyle thought about it.
I'm still amazed that he isn't completely horrified by the thought of his parents showing up at school. He even gave me a hug when I left. I guess instead of being amazed, I should just enjoy it! I think Kyle also needs to get in to see an orthodontist. Anyone out there know at what age is the best time to take him? He's only lost 4 of his baby teeth. I don't know whether I should wait until more permanent teeth come in, or not...

2 comments:

Nurse Heidi said...

I thought it was strange that they called it engineering day as well - the segments I saw were about bubbles and clouds.

Piano Mom said...

Orthodontists...ugh! I've heard that you should take your kids in before they turn 8, but your dentist could give you a better idea. We scouted out all of the orthodontists in the area, and decided to go with Dr. Welton. We've been extremely happy with him and with the results. Best of luck.

P.S. It's Utah State University that named it "Junior Engineering".