Thursday, June 05, 2008

Faith in Humanity...

Okay, to start this out:

On Saturday June 7th from 7:30 - 11:30 we will be having a Rock Band Party (the game, not an actual Rock Band). It will be held at the mansion on 2nd Ave and E St. There will be prizes given out for the best dressed rocker, the best rock band and the best solo artist. The cost will be $5 per person or $4 if you bring some food to share. All money raised will go to The American Cancer Society.

Get your band together or just come and join up with some people and make your own band there.

Come dressed as the best rocker you can be and be ready to "Rock Cancer"!

Please pass this along to all your friends, the more the merrier.

So, I spoke with Jon today. He is planning this party, even though it is 1 day after he is having surgery...dedication, I tell ya! Anyways, he was telling me he was trying to get some gift cards donated as prizes...he said he was having no luck. Businesses were telling him to pretty much write an essay and submit it, and in about a month, they would be in touch. Well, since our Relay for Life team got started a bit late, we have no time for that. I was driving by Rumbi's, and decided to give them a call. For those of you who know me well, know that I frequent Rumbi's weekly. I called, and the manager immediately said yes, and told me to stop by and pick some up. When I went in to get the Free Meal Cards, he told me how just last week, his father was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. It was all so new, but he was willing to do what he could to help. I don't know what he would have done if his father hadn't just gotten diagnosed, but it makes you think, huh? It can affect any of us at any time. So, I scored 2 free meals from Rumbi, and was thinking about where else I could go (with help from Heidi). I decided to stop in Chik-fil-a. They just opened a new store out by us. The marketing director came out, and gave me 25 free sandwich coupons! I was so excited. I was telling my mom, how I have never done anything like this before. If you know me, you know I DON'T do school fundraisers. I hate asking people to buy stuff...but this is for CANCER! It's about time I do my part. I stopped at Kneaders on my way to the school to sell glow bracelets and necklaces. They gave me a $10 gift card! HOLY COW! I was on cloud 9. I seriously was euphoric! People care!

Then I went to the school to sell glow bracelets. Cherice and Daxton had passed out flyers the day before letting people know we would be there! It was crappy. I hated standing there. Jake had a sign, but then ran off with it, so I stood there asking kids if they wanted to buy a necklace, and the kids were looking at me strange with "Stranger Danger" pounding in their heads! Thank heavens the Braithwaite clan showed up and purchased a case of them. Heidi also purchased a case. Other than that, we sold $20 worth. So, any amount of money is worth it! We will sell glow sticks again tomorrow at Morning Cloak Park (Just West of Foothills Elementary) from 1:30-2:00 right after school. Bring your kids! Teach them what it's about! Have them earn money to come buy a necklace. Necklaces are $1 Bracelets are 50 cents. A case of 50 are $16. Jake has a baseball game tonight, so I think we'll take them with us and try to sell some there. Cherice and I both have the glow necklaces, so if you want to purchase any, call us, or stop by!

3 comments:

Allisun said...

Jen, I am constantly amazed at the things you are able to accomplish. I hope someday to be half the mom/woman that you are. Thanks for showing us how we can make a difference.

Cherice said...

You are amazing! I think it is great. One of my neighbors stopped by my house today and gave $50 for our Relay for Life. Kenny was home and he was so amazed that he forgot to ask if they wanted some glow sticks. I didn't even get a chance to talk to her about what we were doing personally. She just read the flyer about selling the glow sticks after school and decided to donate. She probably felt pitty on us because she saw us standing out there scaring kids after school. Yeah for humanity and neighbors who care.

Drae said...

Thanks so much for your help guys! I can't believe how much is getting done because you are all so willing to help. We really appreciate it. By the way, jon is doing good. Won't be back to "real" work for a few more days, but is staying extremely busy. Thanks again for all your support and help!