Sunday, June 01, 2008

Relay for Life

Jon and Donnarae put together a team to walk in the Relay for Life in West Jordan on June 13th at the Veterans Memorial Park . For those of you that are not familiar with the Relay for Life it is a fund raiser event put on by the American Cancer Society to raise money to help find a cure for cancer. For a 12 hour period, someone from your team has to be walking at all times. A team consists of about 8-15 people. According to the American Cancer Society, 7.6 million people died from cancer in the world during 2007. As some of you may know my grandmother is a cancer survivor. We currently have a little boy in our ward fighting off Leukemia, and one of Jon and Donnarae's closest friends has Lymphoma. I think most of us know at least one person who is battling the fight against cancer. This is a disease that affects so many people around the world and will continue to do so.

We are trying to raise money for the event. If you would like to help you can click on the link below and click the "Donate" button and it will walk you through it. NO AMOUNT IS TOO SMALL! Also, we are going to be selling glow-in-the-dark necklaces with all proceeds going to the American Cancer Society. We are going to have my kids sell them kind of like they would do a lemonade stand. I will post when we will be doing that, and anyone that is in the area is more than welcome to stop by and purchase some glow necklaces! Great to have for the Fourth of July! Come stock up! ;)

Click here to view the team page for 7,599,999

I think in life, we hear of these things happening, we know people with cancer, yet we sometimes don't know how we can help. This is your chance! I would hope you know me well enough that I would never ask for money, unless it was a great cause. This is it. THIS IS YOUR CHANCE TO HELP! Even if it's bringing your kids over to purchase glow-necklaces! (They're going to be the bracelets, that you hook together, so they will be 3 for $1 - that will make a necklace - or 1 for 50 cents!)

I think we're all so busy in our own lives, that if something isn't directly affecting us, we stay busy in our own lives, and don't branch out. I am so happy Troy and I are doing the Relay for Life. I'm grateful to be able to teach my kids that they can make a difference, even if it's just a little bit and consists of walking through the night. We will be doing this from 6 pm - 10 am.

SO...help me out! THANKS! If you would rather mail me a check, that is great as well. Make it out to "American Cancer Society" I need it by June 9th.

If the text above does not appear as a clickable link, you can visit the web address:
http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RelayForLifeGreatWestDivision?team_id=314065&pg=team&fr_id=6399&et=CsU_EuXB_uvk-oX1cGaTvw..&s_tafId=105498

3 comments:

Korth Klan said...

My sister Delma is doing a team as a Memorial to my Mother who died of cancer and to commemorate her (Delma's) fifth anniversary of being cancer free. I think hers is on the 21st of June in Blackfoot. We are going to go up as soon as Lee Ann gets off work, do our part then head to Bear Lake for the rest of the weekend. If you want to come up to Bear Lake the weekend of the 28th and 29th I think the water should have warmed up enough to play in it some and ride the Jet skis and 4 wheeler. Ronnie took the jet skis to BL this weekend. He said they ran wonderful but the water was why cold. I spent $600 to get them to run good. They should be really fun this year.
Doug

Jon said...

Jen thanks for that post and for your help!

delilas said...

I wish I could participate in all these cancer walks. This cause is very near and dear to my heart. Thanks Doug for your comments and I'm happy to hear that you are going to Blackfoot to support Delma in her efforts also.
Grandma Korth was a victim of cancer in a time when they did not have all the resources they have now. She let them do a lot of testing on her. I was told she once said "I will do this if one day this saves one of my daughters lives." It has, because now Delma is a surviver of 5 years.
I support all that goes into to these walks. Good Luck to both teams :D PS Doug I need to reserve the jet skis for August. :)