Monday, June 09, 2008

Training...

My training for the half marathon is going strong. On Saturday, Cherice, Heidi, and I ran our longest...6 MILES! That is pretty much a 10K and we did it in an hour and 8 minutes! WAHOO! We actually did 7 miles, but the first mile was a walking warm up. The next 6 miles, it was ALL running. Heidi charted the course and we (okay, I) found it to be much hillier than I would have liked. (It's my turn to chart the course next time ;) I have to say, I LOVE the downhills! I run faster, my stride is longer, and I don't get winded! Every Saturday we are increasing our run a mile. This morning, thanks to advice from Maria, we ran a 9 minute mile, and did two short stretches of sprinting. It about killed me! I was amazed at how much harder it was for my body...mainly my lungs...to do that. I guess that means it's helping my body get faster and more in shape! Much to my dismay, I figure that I'm going to have to be a runner for the rest of my life. It's not THAT horrible (I know, people killing over now hearing those words from my mouth). In the middle of a run is still painful and I do mutter profanities under my breath (usually on the uphills) but afterwards is a great feeling. All day, I kept telling Troy, I ran 6 miles today...If I saw you on Saturday, chances are I told you as well. I am still COMPLETELY amazed, that I can run 6 miles. It's crazy!

I have been thinking after reading my friends blog about her birthday, and turning 30 how I feel about the big 3-0. I feel like my twenties was spent making babies, and focusing on everyone but myself. It's the point in life where Troy was climbing the ladder through work. I feel like now, we are both getting to where we want to be. Troy at work, me with myself. I am finally taking time to do things for me, and I have to say, I love it! My kids are getting big enough that I don't feel guilty about it. Troy's finally on a normal schedule that enables me to do something active regularly. I concluded that my thirties is a time to be the best me that I can. Be more open-minded and try to learn all that I can, be the best mom and wife in the world, and take time to enjoy life!

I do happen to have the greatest husband. I got home after being gone for almost an hour and a half on Saturday morning, and Troy had gotten all the kids up (or vice versa) he had made breakfast, and was having the kids clean up and do jobs. When I got home, they were vacuuming, and everything was clean. It was the best feeling ever! It showed me that Troy thinks that what I'm doing is worth it! Anyways...enough rambling...hey, did you hear I ran 6 miles on Saturday? ;)

15 comments:

Nurse Heidi said...

Hey, I heard you ran 6 miles on Saturday...;)! Way to go, Jen!

I like your thoughts about your 30s being for you. I feel the same way - that I sacrificed my body for my kids during my 20s and now it's time to feel healthy again.

The Thomas Family said...

I just caught up on your blog. Just a few comments on the posts below. LOVE the girls hats! You all are so spoiled out there in Utah. Forget Pampered Chef parties and SLC Candle parties. I love the whole hat idea!
Also, OUCH for poor KYLE. The whole time I was reading that post I couldn't help but SQUIRM while I read it. A stick got stuck in his foot?!!! OUCH!! Then he walked around two weeks with slivers?! Poor poor guy. By, the way you shouldn't feel a bit of guilt about any of that. You know we all would of done the same thing.
Alos, I'm so impressed you ran 6 MILES!! You go girl! Once again I don't know how you do it! Although I loved to read about your chance for free time now a days. It gives me hope, maybe some day I'll be able to leave our kids more then once a month and usually that is to go grocery shopping. :)
I always love catching up on your blog!
By the way I got the T-shirt a week or so ago. My folks happened to be visitting and saw it. They thought it was so neat and my Dad said "That Jen Korth she's always doing something good for others isn't she?" I was said "Yep, she's amazing"
Thanks so much for the shirt. I'm actually wearing it right now. Love it! :)

delilas said...

You are Inspiration Girl! If you were a Super Hero that is what you would be called. I can see it now Jen Korth by night and Inspiration Girl by Day. Or Woman if Girl is to immature. I kind of like the girl!
Any way love ya and Tell Cherice Good Job and love her too. Good Job to Heidi too for being your Motivation Girl. 6 miles is a long ways! :D

Brandon and Carly said...

I want to let you know i', TOTALLY with you on the 30 thing! I turned 30 in December, and I have to admit I was a bit bummed for a while. But, I love the point we are at in our lives right now. I wouldn't trade the cranking 4 babies out in 7 years for anything, but it is nice to be thinking of me for a change!

P.S. Godd for you on the running thing! I don't know how you do it!

Brandon and Carly said...

I mean good, not godd. Whoops! I guess I should preview my comments befor I post them!

Cherice said...

Hey the best part about you running 6, did I say 6, miles on Saturday is that I was with you and I can still walk today. Good job! (Hey, I didn't hear any obscenities.)

Pricilla said...

Jen, you are very inspiring for me right now. I am starting my post baby exercise and nutrition program this week so I hope that I have good things to post in my future too. I am sure I will be writing all about it. There was a point in college that I ran like you are doing and it was so rewarding. Keep up the good work, you rock!

Pricilla said...

Oh yeah, also I feel the same way about my twenties "the child bearing years". I am turning 29 and think I will really like having my body all to myself eventually.

Erin Fonnesbeck said...

It definitely IS time for YOU! It's your turn. Those are great words to live by. And 6 miles! That is amazing! I can say I have only done that once in my life and never did it again after that. :) I am seriously in awe of that.

Penny said...

Check you out! You are inspiring me. This is seriously so cool. Go Jen!

Unknown said...

Ouch!! 6 miles? That makes me hurt just thinking about it. Way to go though...that's awesome. GO JEN!
Totally take advantage of your 30s and play. One thing I have learned since I turned 30 is to take advantage of everyday...you never know what could come the next. Play Play Play!

laura said...

Wow Jen. A half marathon. That is so cool. I actually started training for one myself this year, but my right knee had other plans.
I love your thoughts on 30. I think I'm going to love these next years.

Drae said...

You all are making me a little worried. I just turned 28 and I'm not planning on having any babies until my 30's. I loved my 20's though. Guess I'll just have to waite until my 40's to enjoy life again. Maybe I'll just buy my kids and love it all. :) (Sorry, if I offended anyone with the buying babies comment. It's just a joke.)Yeah for having babies and getting fat! Great job Jen! You are doing awesome and look amazing. I'm so proud of you! Thanks again for all your help with the Relay for Life

Brosita said...

Jen I am so inspired by you! I have lots of freinds that are now running and biking and doing lots of that healthy stuff. I am turning 30 this year as well.....maybe I will have to join the healthy and fit gang!
Good job!

Piano Mom said...

Way to go lady! You are going to rock in the half marathon! Good luck!