Monday, December 08, 2008

Oregon 2008

I was lucky enough to take a trip with my girls up to Portland, OR a few weeks ago. It was absolutely AMAZING! I hadn't been back since we moved 2 1/2 years ago. I have seen a FEW friends since the move (great part about living in Utah) but hadn't seen enough of them! I did a few photo shoots up there, and I couldn't get over how gorgeous Oregon is. It is. Hands down...gorgeous! Everywhere I turned, I saw an incredible place for a photo shoot. We flew in and then I rented a car, since I had my girls, and nobody would have to chauffer me around. The airport proved to be quite difficult. It is much easier traveling with 2 adults and 4 kids, than it is with 1 adult and 2 kids. We arrived in Portland at 9 pm (10 pm Utah time) and both girls were asleep. I put Kristin in the little stroller, and Haley on my shoulders, and I had my camera backpack (at least 40 lbs) and my purse. I forgot how unfriendly and unhelpful people are, and my favorite saying, "You've got your hands full" was heard at least 3 times before I got to the shuttle to get the car. Grrrrr...

I stayed with Sarah. Friday morning, I took Arwen to kindergarten. I wanted to drive around a bit. As I dropped her off, and headed back towards Sarah's house, via our old house, emotions just flooded me! I realized how grateful I am to have lived in Oregon. I realized that Oregon seemed like a different life. With great memories as well as many many trials. Oregon is not where our family is supposed to be at this time. I know we ARE where we are supposed to be. I am happy. I truly miss my friends in Oregon. After my trip, I realized how strong friendships there are, even after all this time.

We went to Papa's Pizza on Friday. Cassandra and Sarah and our kids all went. Before Cassandra got there, I saved a choking child. Well, it was a weird situation. This mom was there with her 2 kids. She wasn't with any friends, and her son (about 2 1/2) started choking. Seriously, choking. I'm pretty sure I have NEVER seen a child choking that bad. The crazy part was that the mom was LIGHTLY TAPPING his back. I was thinking, "LADY! Do something! I didn't come here to watch your kid die!" It was really that bad...huh, Sarah! So, since I can't mind my own business, and I truly was scared to death for this kid...went over to the mom, and tried to take him from her. I was trying to show her what to do, but not wanting to rip him out of her hands, and trying to be calm...Sarah, maybe you can explain it better...I kept saying, "Like this...see?...see?" I was waiting for the validation of this lady that it was okay to help her. I never got it. The lady NEVER said a word to me.. I tipped the kid upside down and whacked his back a good one. He coughed it up. Then, I turned around, with tears in my eyes. I was shaking, and I was so scared. The mother then took the kid in to play...never said a word to me. I kept asking Sarah if I was wrong to step in, but seriously, the kid was going to die...not exaggerating...

That night we went to dinner, and then to a late night viewing of Twilight. I have read the Twilight series, and I think they're good books, but I am definitely not a cult member. Dinner was a blast, with 7 of us, and then 10 of us at the movie was INCREDIBLE. My friend, Penny, put it best in regards to the movie (hope you don't mind Penny) "...the experience ranks in my top ten funnest things I've ever done. We went to the 10:00 showing and it was just crazy to be there with all those cute girls screaming for Edward. As a Mom, I don't really have all that many things to get that excited about it life, so it was fun to just feel the excitement - that teenage excitement that I had forgotten. It was just so much fun! While I know that everyone has an opinion on Twilight, I loved the movie. But more than that, I loved the experience as a whole. When we got to the theater, the line was the entire length of the movie theater and you could just feel the excitement in the air. We had so many fun things though in this experience - running for our seats, the cute girls (decked out in Twilight apparel) that were in front of us counting down the minutes and shouting it out to the crowd, the screams once the movie actually started, the girl who screamed out "That should be me!" when Edward finally kisses Bella, and finally, the girls in front of us who when the movie ended turned to each other and said, "I'm crying, are you crying?". Oh, to be a teenager again!" Pretty much explains it all. From coast to coast(VA - OR), the experience was the same. It was a giddy fun night. I LOVED that I got to sit right next to Kaitlyn - my old babysitter and valiant girl - who is now 14 and TALLER THAN ME - and who has turned into a GORGEOUS girl...miss that girl...and be giddy right along with her! Afterwards I just didn't want to see the night end, so I made everyone go get dessert. At that point it was 1:00am my time, and boy was I a giddy giggly girl. It was so fun though. BOY! I miss those girls!

The next day was FILLED with photo shoots. I forgot how cold it gets in Oregon. Not that it is literally cold, but wet, and cold to the bone feeling. It was so fun seeing how some of my favorite families have grown! You can see their photos on my photog blog Cassandra watched the girls, and they all had a great time. Kristin came home and told the boys all about games she played with the Nielsen kids, and all about Ariella, so fun...

That night, Sarah invited some ladies over for a girls night. IT WAS SO FUN! I miss everyone! The greatest part, was that it felt like I never left. Never was it akward! I totally forgot to take a picture with everyone there, but remembered with 4 of us left...Here is (from left to right) Sarah, Bethany, Me, and Cassandra Not the greatest picture, taken WAY late at night, but I LOVE it. These are my peeps...Love you guys...wanna do it again next year?

5 comments:

Penny said...

Jen, I've never had my blog quoted before. Awesome! You made my day :)! It was fun though, wasn't it? Is it crazy that i think that Edward is hot?!

Unknown said...

Next year for sure!!! It was totally fun! And Jen is right...I'm pretty sure the lady at Papa's Pizza wanted her kid to die, because she never even looked panicked...or smiled when Jen saved him. It was CRAZY!!

Pricilla said...

Oh man, this makes me so homesick, I wish I could have been there for all the girly fun! Glad it was a great trip for you. Way to react quickly at the pizza place, I guess the mom was out to lunch in more than one way!

Bethany said...

ABSOLUTELY we'll have to do it again! I can hardly wait, it was so much fun! So great to see you friend!

Kari said...

What a fun weekend! I love that you quoted Penny's blog! You should do a Virginia girls weekend!