Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Prison

Yesterday, my boys were SO naughty. Seriously. They are in the middle of their 4th week off track, and I can tell you that on Monday morning, after I drop them off at school there will definitely be cause to celebrate! Anyways, back to my story...

Sunday I decided that I was going to be the best mom this week. It's the kids last week off track, and it's Christmas season. I wanted to fill the week with Christmas Activites. I was all excited...until my boys turned into Thing 1 and Thing 2. I was seriously losing it by 11:00. I had finally had enough (throwing pillows at my head while my Visiting Teachers were here). So, I sent them to Prison.

I told them they were in their rooms from 11-3. No ifs, ands, or buts. I told them that when they make bad choices, there are consequences, some of which, you end up in prison. Since it was 11 o'clock, they were whining of wanting lunch. Like that was going to stop their punishment. So, I told them they could have bread and water, like normal prisoners get. That's all they had. Kristin would go upstairs, and I would hear them tell her, "When mom feeds you lunch, try to sneak some for us." Kristin, being the nice sister (why, I will never know, they are so mean to her sometimes) tells them, "I don't know if I can, but I will try." (now, before you all rush to your phones, to turn me in, let me finish the story)

After an hour and a half in their room, I went up, and naturally, it was TRASHED! I made them clean it, and told them they could get out early on parole if they cleaned the playroom. Funny how they hopped to it, and it was cleaned in 30 minutes. They were angels the rest of the day.

I hope it taught them the lesson, that:
1. You must ALWAYS listen to your mom.
2. Prison isn't a fun place to be.
3. Making bad choices results in consequences - like bread and water for lunch

I had told Troy what was going on, and he got home and told the boys how disappointed he was in them. They told him the 'mean mom' was here all day. I told them that I woke up a nice mom, and they quickly invited the mean mom to take over for the day. Oh well, I'll be a mean mom anyday, if it teaches them that making choices results in consequences.

129 hours until they go back to school. Tick...tock...

7 comments:

Penny said...

I'm so trying this next time my kids act up. Jen, your brilliant! (By the way, my kids call me mean Mom too - I put it all back on them):)!

Piano Mom said...

Jen, I think you are the best mom...and so creative with your consequences. So tell me, what would you do to kids who are supposed to do the dishes every night but don't?

Nurse Heidi said...

Being called a mean mom is a high compliment. That means you're doing your job!

Kari said...

That's awesome! I read this to my sister-in-law and we laughed hysterically! I love it! I'm totally doing this. Mean mom gets invited to our house too!

Cassandra said...

Jen, too funny...I will have to keep that one in my back pocket for when they act up...like tomorrow!! I love it!

Kassey said...

I love this, I am going to do it with Kyron!!

Trisha said...

A mean mom is doing her job! So funny though!