Monday, April 14, 2008

add concussion...

Yep. Add Concussion to Haley's LONG list of ailments. This morning, we were getting ready to head out the door. I was in the garage getting my shoes on. All of a sudden, I heard screams. Not the normal 'daily' screams. I knew something bad happened. I opened the door, and Kyle was holding Haley. I asked him what happened, and he said, I tripped. Then he ran to his room crying. I held Haley and watched a huge lump on the side of her head form. I asked Kristin what happened, she told me Kyle tripped, and Haley's head landed on the tile. As if that wasn't enough, Kyle then fell on top of her, banging her head into the tile a second time. I was really worried. I was on my way to drop my kids off at Cherice's while I went to an appointment, so I went over a little early, to have her check Haley out too. Cherice can check for broken bones, and stuff. On the way over, Haley threw up a little. I started getting worried at this point. My kids have had their fair share of bumps on the head, but no one had ever vomitted, so I was worried. I got to Cherice's, and Haley walked into Cherice's room to find Makenna. I was thinking, okay, maybe she's okay. Then, she wanted me to hold her, and as we were sitting there, she started vomitting. So, I called our docs, and they said to bring her right in. She vomitted on the way to the doctors office. We got there, and Haley seemed to be fine. The doc couldn't feel any gushy spots on her head (which indicates a skull fracture) but said if she vomitted anymore, I would have to take her to Primary Children's Hospital for a CT Scan. Sure enough, she vomitted on the way to the grocery store, and then a few times on the way up to the hospital. I sat in the waiting room for over an hour, watched the craziest people make their way into the ER(a kid who drank half a bottle of hand sanitizer...he was drunk as a skunk, a family whose mom admitted her FIVE kids who were all acting completely normal - I find that ODD!). I was just trying to keep Haley away from anybody with germs. I think I put hand sanitizer on both of our hands every 10 minutes. I'm surprised we weren't drunk...Our pediatrician had told me that she for sure had a concussion, and that I needed to be very careful the next few days not to let her get any more bonks on her head. Not an easy task for a new walker...So, we got in, got the CT Scan, and finally the results. All normal. Of course, Haley has a really good test record at Primary's. Once again, It seems like I just enjoy torturing her. So, she fell at 8:30 this morning, and I returned home from the hospital at 4:00 this afternoon. It was a LONG day. My kids all just got a lecture about not picking her up. Kyle feels really bad, I probably overreacted when it happened too, because I've only told him a MILLION times not to pick her up...I think he gets the point now. It's now 5:00. Is it bedtime yet? Thanks Alayna for watching Kristin, and Cherice for watching the boys. Too bad I had to spend this nice 80 degree day in a hospital...

8 comments:

Erin Fonnesbeck said...

One of your first great weather days and you were in the hospital! So sad! So glad that she is ok though.

You can get drunk from drinking hand sanitizer? Did you ever get that email saying that if kids ingest it, they can die? Maybe it's a crock. What will kids come up with next.

What an experience! And so great to have friends that can help at a moment's notice.

Jen said...

I have seen that email, but the reason it's dangerous is that there's so much alcohol in it, that it raises kids blood alcohol level. Which is why they can die. I always thought it was a crock until I saw what I did today...put that stuff up high!

Unknown said...

Poor Haley...and poor Jen! When it rains it pours, doesn't it! I'm glad that she's okay. What more can happen to that poor little kid?? You need to send me a picture of her bump...as a lesson for Arwen as to what can happen when she holds/drops Larkin. I can't get her to stop!!

Dori said...

I would have been scared to death. Macy just fell off the top bunk on Sunday and I thought I was going to have a heartattack. I'm so glad Haley's alright now.

Piano Mom said...

We're always happy to have Kristin come and play. I am sorry that you had to spend the entire day in the hospital...sitting in a waiting room with other sick kids probably wasn't on your list of things to do! At least Haley is okay!

Cari Sorensen said...

WOW Jen, sounds like you had a pretty good day!!! I think this one on the way will be my only one hehehehe!!!
So we started a blog, so hopefully you have our web address now that I wrote you. Talk to you soon!

Brosita said...

OOOOH Jen! What a sad story. I am sorry to hear that happened. I usually scream when stuff like that happens.....hope things have been calm and normal lately.

Bethany said...

Oh for heavens sake. Your should just rent out a room in the hospital you spend more time there than a mother should have to.