Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Tidbits about Korea

Okay, just some tidbits I want to remember:

1. You don't tip here. For ANYTHING. Taxi's, bell boys, food... If you're in a restaurant, and you leave a tip, they will chase you down the street trying to hand it back. It's actually quite nice.

2. I haven't seen ANY morbidly obese people. Seriously, a few chubby people, but that is it.

3. I haven't seen a Korean girls butt crack. NICE! It really is. No thongs showing, no butt cracks...very refreshing.

4. Most of the stores we walk by, have VERY modest clothing. I commented to my mom, that if you're a garment wearer, here is the place to shop.

5. I have seen 3 homeless people since we've been here. And we ride the subway almost every day. Crazy, huh? Anyone who has taken the Max in Portland, knows that the Max is pretty much a homeless persons bedroom.

6. I have seen lots of drunk men here in the evenings. The crazy thing is, they're all in really nice suits, and they're pretty old.

7. The majority of men walk around in suits here. Kind of weird. Oh, and they wear bedazzled ties.

8. All the teenagers here dress really nice (well, except for those skinny pants, which I hate, they all wear those). There are no goth looking kids, or strung out kids. David says people don't even try to smuggle in drugs here. It's just not worth it if they were to get caught.

9. The majority of women wear the oddest looking heels. You see them selling all these weird colors, and styles in the subway for 5000 won (about $5) each. So, they're cheap. They have gotta hurt! I would die if I had to wear heels that often. Three hours a week (church) is about all I can handle of heels.

10. Karaoke is for people who just want to have fun. (in my mind, I'm humming "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun") Not for drinkers. Drinking isn't allowed. I always thought the only way people did it in the states (except for Asians) had to be drunk. In Oregon, we had Asian neighbors who would Karaoke EVERY SINGLE SUNDAY and I thought they were all just drunk. You don't have to be a good singer to Karaoke...we all proved that the other night.

11. Squatters. So rude. I think it's just wrong to make women squat in a public bathroom. Seriously...

12. The majority of Korean men I have seen, are pretty cold here. During our bike ride, the little Korean women would see us, and wave and smile, and most men wouldn't even look in our direction. If they did, I would wave, and they would look the other way.

I may add to this, but for now, this is all I got!

0 comments: