Sunday, April 27, 2008

Day 3

After breakfast, we decided to head to the Seoul LDS Temple, dedicated by Gordon B. Hinckley in 1985. My parents, Troy, and I made our own way through the subway and to the temple on our own! Thank heavens for Angel Moroni. It was closed for maintenance, and the day we arrived was Sunday here in Seoul. We walked around, took photos, and then this man walked up to us. He was the temple president. We spoke with him for a moment, and then left to meet up with my brothers.

We met up with them in the subway station. I had to go to the bathroom, and in the subway station here, you have to take your toilet paper before you enter the stall. So, I had a handful of toilet paper. A stall door opened, and I looked in and saw a squatter. No toilet. Just a urinal type thing in the ground. I hightailed it out and decided to 'hold it'. It was pouring rain outside, and since we had gotten soaked the day before, we weren't excited to hang out in the rain. We walked around the inside of a nice, expensive mall. We got an ice cream cone, and then decided to go see a movie. It had Korean subtitles.

After the movie, we decided to head to the Olympic stadium to see if we could see the torch. About 5 minutes after we got there, the torch came by! We saw it! It was so awesome. Instead of protesters, there were Chinese supports chanting, and waving their flag. There were about the same amount of police man linked arm in arm also. We got some great pictures of it. It was really cool to witness that in front of the Olympic Stadium.

The Olympic Stadium happened to be right next to a baseball stadium. We decided to go watch. We watched the LG Twins and another team. It was different. They had dorky looking cheerleaders. They went onto the field in the 5th inning and started doing this dance. It seriously looked like middle school girls. We waited for the 7th inning stretch to see if they sang: Take me out to the ball game. They didn't. It was disappointing. The highlight of the game for all of my brothers, was that they bought a Twins shirt, and on the back it said: Dr. Bong Apparently the nickname of a player. They thought this the coolest shirt ever.

Afterwards we went to dinner. I have to say, I'm on the South Korean diet. I'm just not a fan of Korean food. I try things (squid pancake - kimchee) but that's about it. You'll have to wait for pictures of this meal too. Too hard to explain. They did bring us out a plate of octopus and squid, which we all shooed away. Not even David was eating that.

We then took a taxi to Namdan tower. It is kind of like the stratsophere. It was high up on a mountain, overlooking all of Seoul. It was pretty cool. Afterwards, we took a taxi home. We were asleep by 8:00pm. And awake by 5:00am. Jet lag is really irritating! Today we are headed down south to Geyoungeu (sp?) for a few days. Don't know about internet down there. Can' wait until I can post pictures...

2 comments:

Dori said...

I love traveling through your eyes it's great. I just hope you still aren't holding it!!:)

Piano Mom said...

I hope you are having a wonderful time in Korea! I would love to be able to travel outside of the country, but I'm thinking it's going to be a while before we can. Where are your kids? We'd love to have Kristin come and play!