Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Snow Canyon

On Saturday, we went to Snow Canyon. It's great hikes for the kids. We hiked on petrified sand dunes, and played in regular sand dunes (I still can't manage to get all the red sand out of my running shoes), and had a good time climbing. I will admit, I'm the 'nervous nelly' mother. I will never take my kids to the Grand Canyon. I would be a basket case the whole time. This definitely wasn't the Grand Canyon, but I had my nervous moments. Kids are just fearless and think nothing bad can happen, which makes me worry more. Snow Canyon is definitely a place I would go back to. There was this awesome paved bike trail that would be fun to do (when my boys get brave enough to really ride bikes...any suggestions with that?). Here are photos of the 3 families who went:



We hiked/walked up to Pioneer Names Trail. Pioneers wrote their names and dates up high on a redrock. Lots of Gublers, Kristin, any relation? Notice how the kids just start climbing, with no worries. STRESSFUL!

I was so glad we had this backpack for Haley. I even hauled her up and down one hike. Good thing she's a pipsqueek!

It was a fun day. I will admit, I still don't love hiking. Or, like it for that matter. I guess I didn't really consider this hiking. Just walking up mounds of petrified dirt. I also think, if there is sand, it's useless unless there's an ocean nearby. All in all, it was a GREAT day! I can honestly say, I don't think there were any complaints from the kids. They were happy to be there with friends and cousins! Come on, you can't beat that!

3 comments:

delilas said...

Oooh! We love Snow Canyon. We would go to the sand Dunes all the time until the State started charging and making it less fun. I'm glad that you had a great time. :D

laura said...

That looks so fun. I am with you on the fear thing though. We went to Bryce Canyon last year. I turned my head for one second and Kea climbed through the side rails and was standing on the other side. My heart stops just thinking about it.

Unknown said...

So fun!! And shorts?! I am jealous! Your kids are going to remember times like those forever! You guys are awesome parents!