Wednesday, January 21, 2009

5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

This recipe was forwarded to me today, and Colette and I decided to try it out. Here is the original recipe. After the recipe, I will tell you what I will do different next time. This was just great for a "I need a treat, a chocolate treat" kinda day...definitely not a "I need to eat healthy" type of day...

5 minute Chocolate Mug Cake

4 tbls. flour
4 tbls. sugar
1 egg
3 tbls. milk
3 tbls. oil
3 tbls. milk chocolate chips (optional)
a small splash of vanilla extract
1 large coffee mug (microwave safe)

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chipos (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again. Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts(we just used whatever setting the microwave is already on). The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed! Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.

Okay, chocolate chips should NOT be optional. That is what made it great. We used tall mugs, so all the chocolate chips went to the bottom. So, next time, I will use a fatter one, and I will mix some chips in, and once it is in the microwave, right before I close the door, I would add some chocolate chips to the top - in hopes that they wouldn't sink to the bottom.

This is definitely a good recipe when you're just craving a small chocolatey treat but since your husband doesn't like chocolate cake, you wouldn't dare make a whole one, because in the course of a week, you would eat the whole thing yourself! ENJOY!

4 comments:

Kari said...

Awesome! Thanks! I'm trying it right now--I needed a yummy treat today!

Pricilla said...

it sounds so yummy! I could sure go for that, but I can't keep chocolate chips in the house, because they don't last long. I wonder if it would work with less oil. I know, I know, you said it was a splurge.

Jen said...

Pricilla, you could probably substitute applesauce for the oil. You could probably also use splenda (not as much) or half and half it with real sugar...and of course, use whole wheat flour...It's worth a try!

Unknown said...

MMM! I can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing. I need my chocolate fix today.