Friday, January 09, 2009

Foot Update

Yesterday I finally made it to the foot doctor. I went to the same guy who I went to after my running accident. His name is Francis Clark - if you're looking for a good foot guy. Anyways, I totally expected to go, say keep doing what you're doing, go away, kissing my $20 copay goodbye. I was wrong.

Their xray machine was down, so I didn't get a repeat xray, but first of all, he was wondering why I was wearing normal shoes. I told him that the swelling had gone down enough so that they fit in a pair of my slip on shoes that are a bit too big. He also wondered how I was wrapping it. HUH? Wrap? What's that?

SO, he told me I should be wearing the shoe they gave me at instacare for 8 weeks! SERIOUSLY? He said ideally, I should wear the big old boot that goes to my knee. I think the problem I have with that, is that it's so big and bulky. Also, I'm not very tall, so it's VERY painful to sit in with it on, it goes ALL THE WAY UP to my knee. I wish they would have just put a cast on - that would have been easier. Seriously. When you have an uncomfortable boot or shoe you have to wear, and you know that all you have to do is take it off, hmmmm...what would you do?

He also taught me how to wrap my foot. I have to try to force my big toe in to the right, so it will be easier for the bone to heal. Ughhh...anyone have any extra coban they don't want? He also gave me strict work-out instructions. I can cycle. That's it. I can do arm weights, but no lunges. If I'm adamant about doing squats, make sure I'm keeping all my weight on my heels.

He told me that if I don't do what he says, I will be going in for surgery to have the piece of bone removed. I have to follow up in 4 weeks. (*sigh* kiss another $20 goodbye)

So, lessons learned here:
1. Instacare's pretty much suck, get a follow up appt with a real doctor ASAP...
2. Next time ask for a cast. It's REALLY hard to walk around with a boot on one foot, and barefoot on another...I would rather not wear the stupid boot...any suggestions?
3. Learn how to walk up the stairs

So, for the next 6 weeks, if you see me, make sure I'm wearing my boot.

1 comments:

Bevtartly said...

Oh the Boot how every patient hates the boot with good reason. You know I see this a lot how about I steal some Coban from my office and send it to you? Good luck.