Sunday, January 04, 2009

New Favorite Quote

I taught Young Women's (Church youth program for girls ages 12-17 - I teach the 12 and 13 year olds)today. I came across a quote by Gordon B. Hinckley that I am absolutely in love with. Okay, I am obsessed with this. I can't stop thinking about as a mom, what I am really teaching my kids - especially my girls - in a world where looks seem to be everything, and mediocrity seems to be a good thing. I am currently drawing up plans to decorate my girls bedroom, and plan on getting this done in vinyl to put on their walls. (Natalie, beware, I may be calling you...first I have to paint, so it may be a few years - I hate painting). Here it is:

"You are creatures of divinity; you are daughters of the Almighty. Limitless is your potential. Magnificent is your future..."

I made each of the girls a bookmark with this quote. The lesson gave me another quote that I was supposed to put on a bookmark, but it was 30 years old, and I think that updating it with a quote 3 years old, would be okay. During my lesson today, I basically was trying to point out that each of us are in charge of our futures. We can do ANYTHING we set their minds to. They are daughters of God. I gave each of the girls a mirror, and asked them to view themselves the way God does. With love, not criticism. To "become the woman of whom they dream". I truly believe we determine our future, and it's not just by one choice, but by a series of choices. I hope I can be a good enough mom to have my own girls realize how truly special they are, how much they are loved, and how they can do anything they set their minds to!

1 comments:

Tycksen Family said...

Jen-

I'm ready to help :). I am so glad you did this post. Kristina has been so sick and I am so glad that I can share this post with her. Thank you also for sharing it with us. I think it applies so well to us women. Thanks again!