Monday, September 24, 2007

The kissing fiasco...

Last night, we went to play games at the Owens'. While we were playing, Kenny was telling me how Daxton told him all about Kyle kissing a girl in the backyard. Daxton said that him and Jake weren't allowed to watch, and had to go to the tramp....so, visions of teenagers making out flashed through my mind...I decided to call Kyle over and have a little chat with him...Here's a bit how it went...
Me: Kyle, did you kiss Bailey?
Kyle:(Look down)
Me: I'm not mad, I just want you to be honest with me, and tell me the truth
Kyle: nods
Me: Do you love her?
Kyle: no
Me: Why did you kiss her?
Kyle: she told me to
Me: Did you want to?
Kyle: no
Me: Where did you kiss her? (trying to remove teenagers making out from my mind, but not having much luck)
Kyle: on the cheek
Me: (completely elated) Did you know you're not allowed to kiss anyone until you're 16?
Kyle: yes
Me: It's not nice to kiss girls unless you love them, do you love Bailey?
Kyle: no
Me: Next time she demands a kiss, tell her your mom said you're not allowed to kiss until you're 16
Kyle: ok
Me: We're not mad, we just want you to be honest with us, and tell us what happens, so we can help you, okay?
Kyle: ok

During this conversation, Jake and Daxton weren't involved or paying attention. But, as they were walking downstairs, I think someone asked the 2 boys if they saw Kyle kiss a girl. Daxton said, "We didn't see it, but we knew it was happening!"

A bunch of my friends (out of Utah) have told me they do the sex talk with their kids when they're 8, otherwise they find out false info from school. Less than a year for Kyle...I'm dreading it!

5 comments:

Nurse Heidi said...

Oooooooooh boy, welcome to the club. We've already had a nice kissing fiasco. Ethan's rebuttal to my question of why he was kissing Breanne was "she kissed me first!!"

Memory said...

I can SOOOOO wait for this stage. :-) I feel an ulcer building up now just thinking about it. I'd say you handled the situation expertly. Way to go!

Dori said...

We also have had a kissing episode...crazy..they were cousins!!

Erin Fonnesbeck said...

Remember that we all probably had kissing fiascos when we were little too and we turned out ok. :) Jen, you handled it like a pro. I was laughing out loud how you asked Kyle if he loved her. Hilarious! If that conversation didn't sink in, I don't know what else would. I don't think I will ever have the kissing girls problem with Mason. Haha.

Cheney Family said...

We had a whole 5th sunday lesson on the when how to have the sex talk with your children!! I hadn't even really thought about it until then and now I am dreading it!! Luckily Lexi is only six!