Saturday, October 06, 2007

Spots in your eyes...

Okay, lately, I've told a few people about this "trick" that I remember my parents doing to us when we were little, and so we've done it with our kids. Here it is (Warning: it may be a Peterson thing...nobody else has heard of it - as of yet...):


You know how kids are FAMOUS for "crying wolf", or blaming things on siblings, or flat out telling little lies? Well, when I was little, my dad (I remember my dad doing it more than my mom) would always say to me, "Okay, if you're telling the truth, let me see if you have any spots in your eyes." (If you have spots in your eyes, that means you are lying.) The great part about this, is kids don't realize that there are no such things as spots in their eyes, but they do know that they lied, so naturally, they don't want you looking in their eyes to check. So, they won't let you look. Kristin is FAMOUS for this. The second I ask to look in her eyes, she slaps both hands over her eyes and refuses to let me look. Obviously, she's lying and has "spots" in her eyes. When she is telling the truth, she is SO excited to have us look in her eyes and see no spots. So, it works both ways, and it's GREAT! Naturally, when they have spots in their eyes, we have a little talk about lying. But, it sure helps me figure out what's been happening, and who's done what! (I know the irony of it...but at this point, anything helps...they'll appreciate it when they're parents, right?)


Just a little trip down memory lane and also a "Jen's Helpful Parenting Tip".

I couldn't resist posting this picture of Haley. She is getting so chubby(for our standards). She has actually hit the 15 lb. mark. She is a little over 10 months now. We went to the boys soccer games today all bundled up! There's something so cute about a baby in a stocking cap! Erin actually gave Haley this stocking cap when she was born, and it still fits (although a little snug).

7 comments:

Cheney Family said...

I think I am going to have to try this!! I have been having trouble with my kids blaming things on each other. I will have to see if this works.

Pricilla said...

Okay, I am just going to have to get me a good camera one of these days. Your pics are just so awesome I can't even stand it.

Unknown said...

Awesome idea! I have a little one that tells tells a few lies! What a great idea. Thanks!

Memory said...

Love the spots idea. And...hello! The bottom picture of Haley is adorable. I love that HUGE smile!

Erin Fonnesbeck said...

Way cute! I do love that hat too. I am glad she is getting chubby. My favorite is the first one. :)

Nurse Heidi said...

Terribly cute pics of Hailey. I love the spots in the eyes thing - that will probably work nicely with my kids. Rachel's just started being a stinker about telling the truth lately.

Bethany said...

Those are darling. What a snow angel.