Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Haley's big day!

Today was the day for Haley's surgery. We arrived at the hospital at about 7:30 this morning. After a quick exam, making sure she was healthy to go through the surgery, they took her in at about 9:30. Troy and I walked to the waiting room, and within 8 minutes, the doctor was in talking to us telling us how it went! I was amazed at how fast it was. In fact, when I saw him, I said, "You're finished already?" When they had examined Haley's ears before surgery, they told us they were completely clear. During surgery, they suctioned out a TON of crap out of one of her ears. I am so glad we got this done. Hopefully it will save her pain, and me sleep and co-pays. A few minutes after the doctor told us how surgery went, they called us back to see Haley. They don't let us see her until after she wakes up from the anasthesia. As we were walking back, I told Troy that I didn't think she was awake, because I couldn't hear her screaming. Well, we found her and she was happy, content, and drinking glucose water (which she LOVED). The nurses said she didn't cry once. She's such a sweet girl. (Kristin got tubes in at 4 months old, and was a BEAST coming out of anasthesia!) The nurses said that as soon as she finished her bottle of glucose, we could leave. We're talking about Haley, so in 3 minutes, we were ready to leave - she guzzled that stuff. We were home at about 11:20. She fell asleep on the way home, and slept until about 2:30. Then she took another nap from about 5-7, and went to bed at 8. We were told it takes about 24 hours for the anasthesia to completely leave her body. It was a nice quiet afternoon. One of her ears is oozing a ton tonight, so we'll see how it is in the morning. I of course took photos. Here are the before:I thought this picture was hilarious! She is such a happy girl...even moments from being taken away from us (literally - in a hall) and taken to surgery.



It's a good think she has her thumb! I've got to figure out how to get rid of it though...before her top teeth come in...any suggestions?


The after photos:

She just kept rubbing her eyes, and she guzzled 3 of those bottles! I think she liked that it was a perfect size for a one hand hold. I love this picture, because she looks so chubby. I am not worried about her at all now. I kind of think she's growing out of the allergic to milk thing. And, it helps that we're feeding her fattening things that normally we wouldn't (per the docs...not to worry). I can't believe she'll be 1 next month! Where did the past year go? It was a whirlwind!

Anyways, that's the breakdown of her big day. Thanks to Kenny and Cherice who woke up EARLY to watch Kyle and Kristin until their school started. To Heidi for watching Kristin after preschool for a few minutes, and thanks to my mom for letting Jake sleepover! Also, thanks to those who were thinking of us and praying for us. It was nice not being stressed out about what we were going to do with the kids. I remember with Kristin's, we got less than 24 hours notice, and it was a nightmare trying to find a sitter. I'm pretty sure I had a breakdown (I was nervous about the surgery, and then it happened so soon) Sarah ended up doing it, but she was WAY pregnant, and I felt bad! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS!

Once again, I am SO grateful we were just there for tubes. We saw many kids in our few hours there today. A brain shint replacement, club foot, tonselectomy, heart problems, etc. It is a reminder to be grateful for our trials.

5 comments:

Drae said...

I'm glad to hear things went so well. If you ever need a sitter, especially when you come up to primary childrens, I'm more than willing. At least until I get a grown up job. And judging from the past, it's not going to happen anytime soon. Anyway, I'm glad to hear everything is good.

Drae said...

I'm glad to hear things went so well. If you ever need a sitter, especially when you come up to primary childrens, I'm more than willing. At least until I get a grown up job. And judging from the past, it's not going to happen anytime soon. Anyway, I'm glad to hear everything is good.

Unknown said...

What a sweet little "fatty!" I'm so glad that everything went perfectly!! Finally...you went to the Dr and they did what they said and it turned out well, right? Aaron was telling me last night that he was pretty impressed with all of the pictures you've been taking lately. That's pretty good to get a compliment from him :)

Heather said...

Hi Jen! I was searching through blogs, linking to other blogs, and found yours, yay!

I am glad that your daughter went through her surgery okay, you have a beautiful family! :)

~Heather Lott (in oregon) :D

Bethany said...

What an angel! That picture of Hailey's cute little smirk is definitely a favorite. So cute! Glad it went smoothly.