Sunday, October 21, 2007

Stake Conference

Today we had Stake Conference. It was a multi-stake conference that included 107 stakes. Our stake was lucky to be invited to the Conference Center, where President Hinckley was presiding and spoke to us all. We have been trying to decide if we should go all week, or just go to a Stake Center to watch it. Taking 4 kids to the presence of the Prophet, seemed daunting. I have just had the feeling, that we need our kids to have this experience. It turns out, it was probably more for myself. I have to say, it was an incredible experience. I have never been to the conference center - when anything was going on - and I have never seen our Prophet - other than on TV. Raquel and Eric are in our stake, and they got there before us and saved us seats. We were on the lower level. As we were sitting there waiting, the doors to the left opened up. All of a sudden, the congregation was on their feet. I could only assume the Prophet had just entered the room. (As I'm typing this, tears are clouding my eyes.) As I hurried and looked around the people in front of me, to see if I could see the Prophet, I saw him. Little, cute, a little hunched over, with someone guiding him by his elbow, to his seat. When he got to his seat, he sat down. The seat was a bit low, and it seemed he kind of fell the last few inches. As soon as he was situated, he waved his hand to the congregation, telling them to sit down. His signal gave an heir of "I don't know why you stood in the first place". I was trying to show my kids, and point him out. The rest hymn was "We Thank Thee Oh God For A Prophet" that I will admit, I sang as loud and good as my little heart, and horrible voice could manage. President Hinckley has this feeling of love. He's so calm and loving. When it was his turn to speak, he spoke about marriages. About how the husband should allow his wife to discover and learn her talents and about how wives should love their husbands, be happy, and dress up a bit. (I am paraphrasing, and it doesn't sound the greatest coming from me.) Be happy and enjoy the times we have together. I wish I could say I could hear all of what he said. I would love to read what he spoke - it was awesome, and in regards to all the divorces that he has to sign off on. I was standing up in the back with Haley. It made me want to be a better wife!

After conference, since we were down there, we headed over to the SL Temple (where Troy and I were married almost 10 years ago!). I, of course, brought my camera. It was bitter cold, and I couldn't take a family picture, but I got one of all the kids. I was talking to Kristin about the temple, and how we are sealed forever. So, she asked me that if she died, would I miss her? I told her that I don't want her to die, and that I would miss her, but that if she did, she would have lots of family who love her and would watch out for her until I got there - because we are sealed to our family. She seemed good with that. She's been wanting to meet Grandpa Jimbo. A few minutes later, she asked, "Mom, do you want to come and see me in heaven?" I told her that after she's a grandma, she can go to heaven, until then, I will see her now. I love the sweet innocence of kids. I am also grateful of my testimony, and of the plan of salvation. I know who I am, why I am here, and where I am going. It seems like such a simple sentence - and it all really is that simple.

10 comments:

delilas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
delilas said...

Jen thanks for posting your sweet experience with your family and the Prophet. sniff sniff Does it get any better than that? I'm so grateful I get to have your family in my life. Your VA time was all about us getting to know each other. lol xoxoxo :D

delilas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pricilla said...

What a great experience. I am glad that you got to go do that. That was pretty brave with the little ones, your kids must be good at sitting.

Unknown said...

What a great experience for you and the kids. How amazing that you got to hear and see President Hinkley. And Kristen sure does say the sweetest things!

Drae said...

It really is an overwhelming feeling to see the prophet walk in and despite his humble manner, know the mantel and spirit he brings. I'm glad you took your kids to it. Hopefully they will at least remember that it was a big deal to you, so it will be a big deal to them.

Bethany said...

It's something you'll never forget. That was a great entry Jen. Thanks for your testimony and for sweet Kristin's comments. I love it all!

Erin Fonnesbeck said...

I would love for my kids to have that experience. That is amazing. There are great things about living in Utah, that's for sure. I am trying to figure out that picture - looks like Haley is floating.

Erin Fonnesbeck said...

That really is an amazing picture that your kids will cherish for the rest of their lives. And I love the suits on the boys.

Jen said...

Kyle's hands are right under Haley's armpits...we couldn't see Kyle's face otherwise!