Wednesday, October 03, 2007

We're home...

Well, we're home from our short little vacation. It's always so nice coming home, but there is also that reality kicking you in the butt. I had so much work to catch up on, it's ridiculous. I often wonder if vacations are even worth it, because I get so behind...

It was so nice being away, even from callings. I have 2 callings. A primary teacher, and Troy and I are Scout leaders over the Wolves in our ward. We have 13 boys now. (We just had a boundary change) I do have to say, scouting is not my favorite thing. I am going to put my 2 cents in about scouting, and you can agree, or disagree. There isn't much I can do about it, but what I'm called to do, but I do have a few observations.

1. I don't think scouts should have anything to do with church. Why? Because then SOME parents don't want to be involved. They figure it's someone else's calling to make sure their kid gets badges, they just drop their kids off, and pick them up. Also, Kyle isn't even in scouts yet. I would rather be in scouts when he's in scouts so that we can do things together. Kids who are in scout troops (non lds troops) want to be there. Their parents want to be involved, and they are.
I really am trying my best to excel in my calling. But, I have to depend on leaders who don't necessarily want the calling, nor do they want to excel in their calling, so that makes it hard also. It also gives me unwanted drama.
2. I hate calling parents to remind them EVERY week about scouts. If you want your kid to go, shouldn't that be on your calendar? Should someone really have to call (I also send out an email that nobody replies to)?
3. Having 13, 8 year old boys, along with my own 4 kids, makes scouts a little (okay, who's kidding who) CRAZY every week!
4. I really do like the boys. They are funny, silly, and most of them really want to be there! Some of them are so excited about passing things off and getting beads - they're the kids that make it worth it!

I know that I have this calling for a reason. I may not know what that is at this point and may never know, but I'm plugging along. Troy loves it!

Well, back to work. It's midnight. A few more hours to go! I probably caused more scout drama with this post, but it's my blog. These are my feelings and I hope I didn't offend anyone (who am I kidding - unfortunately, that's what I do best).

5 comments:

Cheney Family said...

It is sad, but I feel the same way sometimes. I have new calling asst. den leader to the webelos. I know nothing about the scouting program before this and it has been interesting to say the least. Though at least I have only five boys that come and not 13!!

delilas said...

You are a Saint. I love all the scout leaders. I'm one of those parents that don't get involved and hate the cheers at the pack meetings. I don't need to be reminded because I remember that I need time away from that son of mine. lol Just know your parents appreciate all that you are doing, anyway this parent. My boys got there Eagles because of good leaders not because there parents pushed them. :D luv ya!

Lewyville said...

I feel for ya! I have never been in Scouts and know nothing about it. From what I hear it sounds very time consuming. Hang in there!

Pricilla said...

I had this calling too and it was so tricky with my kids at the same time. I do think the church is wise and has good reason for doing it though, but it is still one crazy calling:)

Nurse Heidi said...

I'll just keep my mouth shut about my true feelings about scouts. I'm sure I'd get flogged. And that's after putting in nearly a decade between Explorer posts, working at scout camp for 4 seasons, various cub scout positions... I love working with the boys. I don't love the bureaucracy of BSA. The end.