Wednesday, October 10, 2007

My Bro, David

I got an email from my brother, David, this morning. He seems to be doing quite well. He is living in Korea for a year, teaching at a very prestigious school. He had a fellowship to UC Irvine to get his doctorate, but got it put on hold for 1 year to go to Korea. He'll be able to pay off his student loans in full upon his arrival home next September. He says in Korea kids go to school for like 18 hours a day. They go to normal school, and then their parents pay for this expensive after-school, school, that goes until about 10:00pm. That is where David is teaching. David went to Nationals (and I think won) in Debate for Cal State Long Beach, so he is there teaching debate, and whatever else they want him to teach. He said yesterday, he worked with kids Kyle's age on literature, or something. (Sorry, David, I may be way off...You'll have to write things for me to post that are more accurate.) He said he asked for 1 day off in November, and they looked at him like he was crazy. He said he works very hard and long hours! This is from his email: I taught some kids a little older than kyle the other day and it reminded me of him and your kids. i feel bad for the kids here, they have to work so hard. its normal to see young kids around 8,9, or 10 on the subways late at night without any adults. i also see them playing in the park even after midnight. they don't have the same sense of time here. also, it much safer than in the US. kidknappings, murder, theft, sexual abuse,etc. are all very very rare here. kids respect all adults as if theywere their parents. they just laugh at me though, especially when i try to speak korean. I have learned the korean writing system and can say a few phrases but I don't have much time to study.
Anyways, I just wanted those of you who would like to know what he's up to, to know. That means his brothers and probably parents for that matter. David's never been one to keep in contact with family - so I'll try to keep us all posted!

1 comments:

Erin Fonnesbeck said...

This was a good post! Your brother is so adventurous and is having the chance of a lifetime - good for him! Your brothers are all so cute to me.