Thursday, October 25, 2007

Service Auction

Definition I found of service online: work done by one person or group that benefits another

First of all, disclaimer: I don't know who in my ward reads my blog. This post is not meant to be offensive...

We had the RS Service Auction tonight. I was so excited to go, LeeAnn even watched my kids. I have been to auctions in the past, that people gave SO much of themselves. Like 4 hours of house cleaning, etc. When I got here tonight, I was a little in awe. They had people bring what they were offering as service. Such things were: buckets of candy bars, sewn doll clothes, stacks of cards, babysitting, a family photo shoot (from yours truly), bracelets, babysit kids while you go to the temple (which, ironically, NO ONE bid on!), brownies, organize a closet, etc.

Okay, most of the things didn't seem like a service to me. I mean, cards are great! And it would probably be different, if you offered to make someones Christmas Cards, or Baby announcements for them, instead of just bringing random cards. I would like your take on this, because I walked away feeling like we all just exchanged goods. Now, is that service? I just don't know. I came away with 3 hours of babysitting (from a YW), 2 bracelets, and a plate of brownies. The babysitting is definitely service in my opinion...but the others?

It was a great night anyways. Any night away is a great night! I enjoyed getting to know my ward better. I can't believe we've almost been here a year. I hardly know anyone! (I feel like, I know names, just not faces that go with names) It was a fun enrichment, because it allowed me to get to know people. I was just a bit taken back by the service aspect. And who knows, maybe it wasn't advertised to be a service auction, just an auction(I'm in Primary, what do I know?)...I would love all insight...

6 comments:

Jennica said...

Hi Jen -
I am Teresa's friend Jennica. Our ward had a service auction last Christmas. I thought the same thing about cards before I signed up for anything... I didn't know what to bring for my service. My mom said "make a whole bunch of random cards". I said the same thing as you... I didn't feel like it was a service because they are SO easy to make. She said "it FORSURE is to those of us who don't have time to make a homemade card or don't know how" I ended up making a whole bunch and "sold" them in sets of a dozen. They ended up going first. I love the service auction idea. On some of the "services" I will agree with you though... NOT SERVICES! :)

delilas said...

I'm not a real fan of the service auctions. Our ward is doing it soon and I'm sure that it will be fun.

About you not knowing anyone - that is because you have your families close and they take up your time
socially. Plus when you need something you ask them because that is the way it is suppose to be. When the majority of the people don't have there families close the ward becomes our families. So don't feel bad but if you miss that going to enrichment is a great place to meet people.

Erin Fonnesbeck said...

Yeah, those things don't sound like services, but rather exchanging goods, but as long as it served the purpose of getting everyone together and everyone having fun then no worries. Who got your photo shoot and what did people "buy" with? That is hilarious that the temple babysitting didn't go. Typical.

Erin Fonnesbeck said...

TOTALLY AGREE WITH DELILAS! Living by family is so great, but it causes you to not meet others because your time is consumed with family. There has to be a balance somehow, but that is hard to figure out how to do that without over scheduling and stressing yourself.

Jen said...

When we got to the church, we filled out these questionaires. For each thing we could check off the questionaire, we got $10 of monopoly money with the RS seal on it. Some of the questions: Did you do your VT this month, did you invite someone to come with you tonight, have you taken a meal to someone in need this year, etc.

Bethany said...

I can see what you're saying Jen. Making the brownies and cards and such takes time, but it's all done before hand and there is no interaction. So I guess yah, it would seem more like an exchange of goods. I guess the service was the time they took to make them. Contrast that with what we're planning on doing. It's more of service exchange. It can only be something that you write down on a card. That way there has to be some interaction involved in hopes that you will get to know one sister a little better. I guess it could still be a plate of brownies, but they'll have to drop them off and hopefully strike up a convo. I bet your photo shoot went for some pretty big R.S. bucks.