Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Off Track

For the past - almost 3 weeks now, WOW - I have tried to have a TV ban. Of course, Troy doesn't think it pertains to him. I still watch TV, but only after the kids are in bed. It was hard the first few days, but we've all gotten used to it. When Mason was here, it wasn't enforced as much. We watched movies. Which is fine...that's what the kids should have it for - special occasions. Anyways, the way we work it is this: for every book the kids read during the week (Kyle has to read books to Jake and Kristin) they get 5 minutes of TV time that can be used on Saturday. Kyle really needs practice reading. Some evenings, we'll have a movie night but we've been doing pretty good. I am amazed at how much less the kids bicker and argue! I told Troy it's because I removed some evil from our home. I have always been skeptical about when people say they're going to stop watching TV. I am definitely not saying never, but we are definitely cutting back, and it has proved to be GREAT!
Kyle went off track last week. He is always so bored when he's off track. This time, Erin brought Mason up to stay with us for a few days. She had a girls weekend in SLC, and so Mason stayed with us. Erin came a day early and stayed with us a night. One afternoon, Erin, Troy, and I were dying for a nap. So, we built the kids this fort...the things we'll do for a nap (not even a nap, just to lay down and not be bothered!)...notice how it's attached to the ceiling fan...I'm ingenious! ;)
Here are Mason, Kyle, and Daxton playing with their Nintendo DS.
Jake and Kristin are on C Track, so they still have preschool. While Jake was at preschool, Kyle and Kristin were playing with the Magnetix. They are the greatest things EVER! If you don't have them, it is a definite MUST for Christmas! Kyle said, "Mom, come see our cow." I did. I was SO impressed! I thought this looked a heck of a lot like a cow! CRAZY!
Notice that it's a happy cow, with "gutters".
Well, if you thought Haley was in the clear, think again. I had set up my new photography stuff in the living room, and was trying to get some good shots in. I took this one of Haley, and then I picked her up. I couldn't figure out why she was crying. Turns out she had a fever. We gave her some Tylenol, and about an hour later, she vomitted EVERYWHERE! She has been so fussy! Hardly eaten at all today - not good for her! So, I called the doc...just wanted to make sure she didn't get an infection or something from her surgery last week. They suspect it's just the flu. But seriously, can the girl catch a break? She has had 1 problem after another since birth! It's not even winter yet! Poor girl...here's hoping to a good and quick recovery!

6 comments:

Drae said...

Jen,
That picture of Hayley is soooo darling. Once again, you are an amazing photographer! I think I might have you do some pictures for me and Jon. I'll have Lindy do some too, since she's been planning on it for a while now, but if you want some more practice (as if you don't get enough), I would love to have you do some of the engagement and bridals. (When the time comes)I love your idea about the TV. Ironically, I made a goal to not watch TV this whole week. It's been so nice! Except when Jon wanted to watch the World Series. He's been supportive though. It really is such a waste of time. However, I'm sure it takes up more of your time making sure the kids are entertained. Keep it up though. I think it's worth it. I'm going to try to have limited TV in my home too.

delilas said...

I noticed the "gutter" on the cow. Very impressive. You are a great mom and yes TV is not good. I will have to find you the children's book about the pirates that find a box and it turns them into sloppy, lazy, ugly monkey kind of things. They throw it over board and return to being good pirates. It has an agenda against tv.

Donnarae, It is the world Series crying out loud. LOL I wish you and Jon would just do it already! What? You know what. <3 :D

Jen said...

Donnarae, is that an announcement? I would love to take some pics of you guys for my portfolio...if you'd allow...Tell me a time and place!

Kristin said...

Jen you can take some pictures of my kids too if you want! I took them to a studio last week and not one of them together turned out good enough to buy. That picture of Hayley is really sweet...sorry she's sick!

Erin Fonnesbeck said...

Kids actually become creative when you don't have electronics in front of their faces! I hate the gameboy for that reason. I told Mason I noticed he isn't reading anymore and he said, "It's because I am too busy with my DS!"

Bethany said...

Poor, poor hailey. I love that solitary tear. Nice job on the tent building. I'll even crawl into ours and try and nap so that it "feels" like I'm playing with them. That is a great cow and it looks very happy!